Second Skin Audio

Best way to brace a box?

Goblenator

i planned on using the tic-tac-toe board window brace using .75 in MDF. Is 1in big enough or do i need to move up to 2in? It will be a monolithic piece as well.

What do you mean by 1in or 2in?

I used this bracing on my enclosure I just built, and I'd recommend it. My enclosure is wide, so there was a lot that was unbraced, and just tapping on the front panel was a very hollow sound. Made that brace and slid it in snug, tapped in the center of each respective side of the brace and no more hollow sound.

if you were to assemble it in pieces would you use 1in or 2in wide wood?

Im going to go for 2in.

i planned on using the tic-tac-toe board window brace using .75 in MDF. Is 1in big enough or do i need to move up to 2in? It will be a monolithic piece as well.

I used this bracing on my enclosure I just built, and I'd recommend it. My enclosure is wide, so there was a lot that was unbraced, and just tapping on the front panel was a very hollow sound. Made that brace and slid it in snug, tapped in the center of each respective side of the brace and no more hollow sound.

Im going to go for 2in.

That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. I made mine ~1inch out of 3/4" birch ply

Im going to go for 2in.

That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. I made mine ~1inch out of 3/4" birch ply

i assume monolithic pieces are better than assembling them with strips of pine

How do you guys cut perfect squares that small in a piece of .75 mdf?

Router? Or jigsaw?

Heres what I did

D7DBEFCB-2FF7-4CE8-8245-647FE931BC2B_zps

50D4662A-7057-47BC-BDF5-8C89452D1BE5_zps

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Im going to go for 2in.

Router? Or jigsaw?

I used a jigsaw. Drilled a hole in each corner of each square I wanted to cut, then inserted the jigsaw blade and cut away. Then do round overs on the edges if you want.

Im going to go for 2in.

Router? Or jigsaw?

I used a jigsaw. Drilled a hole in each corner of each square I wanted to cut, then inserted the jigsaw blade and cut away. Then do round overs on the edges if you want.

exactly what i visioned. Wasnt sure if there was a better way. probably is but a jigsaw works.

Router? Or jigsaw?

Jigsaw is the fastest, they don't have to be perfect, just reasonably close.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived