Second Skin Audio

SA 10 Box... Not Enough Port?

SMZ2

Okay so I know the general rule of thumb is 12-16 port area per foot but the port looks so small on sketch up imo. Also I've never had to build a box with so many bends before. I am not crazy about small boxes because I find them somewhat harder to design. If someone could look over this for me I would appreciate it. I am trying to start building this soon.

sa%2010.png

More than likely an sae1000. So 1000 watts rms. Building it for someone. I've never had to bend a slot more than the initial L though that is why I'm double checking.

Yes you may benefit of some more port area.

How much more would you suggest? It's almost 16 per cube now.

Have you thought about using an aero? I know it's a differant sub but built a box for an sd2 10. Single 4" aero. Did very well

I will have to look into that. I know that will allow me to have a slighty bigger internal volume as well.

I will have to look into that. I know that will allow me to have a slighty bigger internal volume as well.

Based on the net volume and power you are going to want to run, something around 24 sq in of port area would be ideal. Your port is going to have to be a good big longer to keep tuning the same. Also, as you have your port right now (1.375 x 13) its a really high aspect ratio, almost 10:1. High aspect ratio ports are inefficient and function like they have less area, as you have it now, its going to function more like its 13 sq in. Just something to keep in mind.

A good solution would be to widen the port to be 2" wide. That would give you ample port area and would reduce the port's aspect ratio to something more reasonable.

If you wanted to use aero ports, two 4" ports would give you a good amount of port area, one 4" port wouldn't be nearly enough IMHO. However with two, they are going to have to be fairly long and you may not be able to fit them in the box. This is a common problem when trying to use aero ports in these small boxes.

Getting enough port area with these smaller boxes is always a challenge no matter what you do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived