Sundown Audio

just bought a rockville rxd-m4 amp

Bayuk89

I known you know how to set the gains lol ur a heavy hitter in the audio world..... talking about less knowledgable people setting gains way too high becaus they havent researched how to do it yet... my relation was my gain was less than half and it plays strong, said member may have his 2/3 up and realise its too high and going into protect mode... i set mine with kenwood excelon x399 at volume 31/35 using a 40hz test tone at 0dB and all EQ at zero and did the math square root of 1500 watts at one ohm is 38.72 so i used my DMM on A/C volts and turned my gain wup till i saw 38 volts ac and hooked subs up and tuned the SSF and LPF

With out a DD-1 or oscope i feel safe using this method there is plenty of people that use this method until they got the proper tools.

Appreciate the compliment, I am far from anything in the car audio world. I know barely enough to not burn a vehicle down! The DMM method could be argued to me not much better than setting by ear though. It's good you at least understand the gain is not a volume knob though, lots of people haven't even figured that out yet.

I dont know u personally but i have read many of ur post on here and they all been helpful in one way or another, for the gain i know its not a volume knob but i commented on that to make sure if the joe person who posted might read it and realise he might have "mistuned" the amp with the gain too high or putting one ohm load on a 2 ohm stable amp and its going in protect mode its all possible sometimes its good to double check the install.

so how do you know the head unit is not clipping?

With out a DD-1 or oscope i honestly dont..... ive been told by a good few members running the kenwood excelon series HU that that can run 35/35 and its clean, others say 32/35 so to be safe i did it at 31/35 until i get the right tools to confirm. Im usually at 24-26 while driving, i dont blair my music everywhere i dont need the attention.

so how do you know the head unit is not clipping?

With out a DD-1 or oscope i honestly dont..... ive been told by a good few members running the kenwood excelon series HU that that can run 35/35 and its clean, others say 32/35 so to be safe i did it at 31/35 until i get the right tools to confirm. Im usually at 24-26 while driving, i dont blair my music everywhere i dont need the attention.

mine does not clip at all but it does not mean others will be the same.

i like how you ride though.. dont need to be full blast to enjoy your system. i dont like disturbing other people either

Glad to see you trying to lend a helping hand Bayuk amidst all the bashing you recieve for it. Props to you man.

Thanks mcfalcon, i wasnt trying to upset anyone but i feel like my little input might be helpfull and i totally got shut down..... i appricate clean helpful opinions and advise from all these experiensed members but when someone makes it a point to make a noob (myself) feel dumb its like why bother being a part of this forum if the people u look to for advise or mentor are just gonna crap on you. Sorry for any i'll feelings anyone got and if any ADMIN feel that my actions are wrong please tell me.

DC resistance is not impedance, just throwing that out there. So what your DMM reads is DCR, not impedance.

If ur reffering to coil resistance they are un plugged from the amp and im using the ohm setting on my bluepoint DMM. Is that what ur mentioning ? My two subs are 4ohm DVC and wired parelle it shows .8 on my DMM on ohms setting

DC resistance is not impedance, just throwing that out there. So what your DMM reads is DCR, not impedance.

If ur reffering to coil resistance they are un plugged from the amp and im using the ohm setting on my bluepoint DMM. Is that what ur mentioning ? My two subs are 4ohm DVC and wired parelle it shows .8 on my DMM on ohms setting

Yup, that's what I'm referring to. You are seeing DC resistance, not impedance.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

It is impossible to measure D/C resistance with a tool such as a digital multi meter that reads in A/C impedance..............

Archived