Sundown Audio

Mono or 2 Channel?

RyanRosier

What is better for subs? I have some Old School Kicker and Rockford amps but theyre all 2 channel. Any advantages over a 2 channel or vice versa? Any input is appreaciated!

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

As long as the amp and subs are in working order, you don't treat the gain like a volume, and you're giving the subs their RMS or less of power, then it doesn't matter whether it's mono or two channel (assuming the amplifier's built-in crossovers meet the same bandwidth of the subs frequency response, and doesn't cut those frequencies out).

But food for thought when using a two channel. Woofers sharing a chamber in an enclosure receiving different amounts of power can damage one or both subs. Both channels of the amplifier should be gain matched in order to send the same amount of power to each woofer.

If you use a 2 channel amplifier, you will normally run a bridged mono output ...

Personally, I prefer 2 channels over mono block amplifiers. Better dynamics

... but there again, that's just me.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

As long as the amp and subs are in working order, you don't treat the gain like a volume, and you're giving the subs their RMS or less of power, then it doesn't matter whether it's mono or two channel (assuming the amplifier's built-in crossovers meet the same bandwidth of the subs frequency response, and doesn't cut those frequencies out).

But food for thought when using a two channel. Woofers sharing a chamber in an enclosure receiving different amounts of power can damage one or both subs. Both channels of the amplifier should be gain matched in order to send the same amount of power to each woofer.

I gotcha, I was also talking about a bridged mono load as well, Like a mono amp or a 2 channel bridged, what would be the best with that? I like every thing you told me though, great information, I just don't wanna run 2 channels.

If you use a 2 channel amplifier, you will normally run a bridged mono output ...

Personally, I prefer 2 channels over mono block amplifiers. Better dynamics

... but there again, that's just me.

Yeah that's what I was meaning haha

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Archived