Power inverter question

Do you guys know how big of a power inverter I would need to run a Dish Hopper I can't find the amperage draw on it but it says 98watts by the power cord.

I have a Black and Decker 500 watt power inverter hooked up to my little battery bank in my car and it just keeps turning off. The power inverter can support up to 4 amps. Even when I connected it to my v8 sitting at 14.4 volts it would still overload the power inverter and beep and not turn on the voltage doesnt budge either. This was with only the dish connected.

I find this strange because I can run a 42" Flat Screen, PS3 and our christmas lights no problem on the 500 watt inverter. I have a generator but my father in law is borrowing it right now because theirs is broken...

We have shared utilities with our neighbors who haven't been paying their rent or the electric bill and are getting evicted. I know it sucks at Christmas time and I am trying to keep the lights on and TV for my kids. This is our only source of power right now and I would like to get a bigger more reliable one if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

Merry Christmas SMD!

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I ended up picking up one of these and it gets the job done no problem... The digital display shows wattage draw and my battery votlage. Resting at 13 volts too

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XI75DU-Digital-Display-Inverter/dp/B004EIBY36

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

It's to early for me to do math, but if you use the formula of W = A x V you should be able to figure it out. You said 100w is what the cable says, and your voltage to your house is 115V if I am not mistaken so you need to solve for the amperage.

Edit: I didn't read everyything, sorry still to early lol. That formula I gave you though, use that to figure out what you need to power everything fully.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

AC ranges from 115-120.... when things start getting lower than 113vac things stop working or acting really funny.... I had a 1500/3000 inverter and I was also using 2 large marine batterys and with the engine off could power just about anything I wanted, but no matter what I could not do a cold start on my fog machine before I went to a show, had to first plug it in to the garage then transfer it to my truck.... I still dont think this fog machine took more power than a 150,000btu torpedo heater, george forman grill and a coffee maker on nights we went sledding but looks like it did.... my inverter was a direct wired model using short runs of 2awg..... sometimes devices just use more power than you think.... but a 500watt is only 4amps and the ones that can fit in your hand really only work for laptops, mine was larger than a car amp

Make sure you use real good wire for those. I used the cheap wire that came with mine and it me!lted. I used 0 gauge to stop that. Those inverters seem to pull more power thanthan an amp with the same rating

Borrowed my father in laws inverter and the clamps were all rusted and it started smoking and melted the heat shrink around the positive clamp luckily I caught it before it went up and nothing was damaged. The Schumacher XI75DU 750 doing pretty good right now. I might upgrade to bigger wire later on but its working great right now.

Also it has a digital read out that shows the voltage of the system on the 12v and 120v side and how many watts it draws in real time. I have been periodically checking it stays rock solid at 120v the 12v side fluctuates with the alt turning on and off. The draw with what I am running is <300 watts my only question would be durability but it works great for now.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Archived