wrapping a car in real carbon fiber fabric

I stumbled upon this thread, kudo's for wanting to try new things, I am sure there is a way to do exactly what you are trying to do, I am sure to do this the correct way you will exceed the cost of a nice paint job. carbon fiber look is def sick even if its not real, big tits are big tits even if you find out there fake right? its the look you are after not the performance. I do agree with you about people posting a lot of negative shit on this site, its become a ghost town due to bully's picking on people. I get it, its easy to take on the noob with no experience or get upset that they wont listen to reason, just think for a second though. If you get insulted your reaction usually isnt to agree with the person who is putting you down regardless if its true, if you do that you are a fucking pussy anyway. Back to your idea, If you could get that look you really want I would say go for it, its gonna look sick. my gut feeling is telling me its going to make your stomach turn that you ruined your cars paint job for the ultimate realization that it wasnt the most sound idea.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

So you have 2 choices here, either you can make panels that fit over your existing steel, or replace the steel panels with CF ones.

the first choice would be interesting, but like everyone has said, kinda defeats the purpose of CF in terms of weight. Then you have the issue of connecting it to your steel body...you can either fasten it (which would most likely end up damaging your steel panels) or adhere it (which would eventually separate if you went resin to steel....could try using a Fuzor, however there's no guarantee that won't pull away either, and both ways would definitely ruin your paint). Believe me, I've tried fiberglass to steel; it didn't last more then a year before it started separating and getting hairline rust from the steel corroding underneath. there's also the possibility of folding the CF around the panels, but that would be a very touchy practice, and you would probably have to leave an inch off the edge without resin; let the layer dry, then flip it over and wet out the rest around the panel...giving you inconsistent resin layers and a lot of finish work to do.

Your second choice would be expensive....especially if you tried to make your own. It would involve making fiberglass plugs (if you wanted to do an outside skin and inside skin for something like the hood...which would be required, because there's no way a layer of CF is enough to withstand impact). Then you would have to deal with your rear quarters, trunk, bumpers, doors, etc etc. Not to mention how to work around the side windows and windshield.

CF isn't that easy in that size man. you would have to lay the pattern exactly how you want it and make sure you have 0 abnormalities in the resin...not to mention man hours to do it. You say you've done dustcaps but It's like if you installed an 8" woofer on a 200 watt amp....then tried to build a wall on 20k. Completely different animals and a new set of problems. No one thinks your talking about fake CF, but the vinyl shit would be a hell of a lot easier to work with then this, and cost less.

what your talking about is possible in the physical sense.....But it won't be cheap, practical, or easy. And if you don't believe anybody, Come up with a plan and do it. Prove everyone wrong. However, it definitely doesn't happen often here.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Archived