Sundown Audio

Amp issues?

RyanRosier

I have the amp installed now. I am running 4 AWG all the way to my dist block then it is 8 AWG to my T-Spec 3 Farad Cap from Crutfield. Then splits out with 8 AWG to my amp. It is Grounded with 8 AWG to 4 AWG to the chasis. When I play the song Late Night Tip (only song this seems to happen on) the amp cuts out and says *SERVICE*. Then when I turn the volume down it will come back on and continue to play. In the manual it says to contact kicker to refurbish the amp when I get the message SERVICE. Anyone have any input? Could it be becuse this amp needs 4 and I'm only giving it 8 at the moment. Choke point perhaps? Voltage stays up around 12.2 I believe. The amount of 8 AWG in total is less than 3 feet.

Also, do I post to much? I know this forum is here and all and when I was welcomed people told me to ask questions and learn that way but I feel like I am bugging to much.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

My guess is either you're clipping the signal, the song is dirty(causing clipping(, or you're wired at too low of a final impedance, causing the amp to protect.

Unless the wire is severely heating up, I doubt the wire is to blame.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Id also say if its only one song, and if its that bass boosted version of late night tip its edited at a way louder level, which could cause the amp to clip or draw more power then it needs, combined with smaller then needed power wire and potentially lose power wires it is cutting out and saying service.

Kind of sound like it's going into protect from too low voltage or a poor ground. What model of amp? How is the ground actually attached to the vehicle?

I'm sorry thought I listed it, I was trying to be very detailed. It is a Kicker SX650.1. The ground is attached at a seat bolt. Like an eye nut (or whatever they're called, gold plated too) is all the way around the bolt then put back into place.

I'd guess you are clipping the amp causing to go into protect.

Okay clipping.. what exaclty is clippping? I know its like the sine waves and stuff get squared off and all that but I can't seem to get a grasp on it all. And distortion. I mean my deck goes to 62 but the speakers start distorting at like 47 and stuff. I think it's cause they're blown, I usually don't push my stuff hard. Listen at about 44 or 40 most the time. Headunit is Pioneer DEH-X6600BT. How would I fix or find a solution to everything? Properly set up my system without having a DD-1 or anything like that. And I don't think I can tell by ear.

Why is voltage only 12.2V?

I don't think that's the problem necessarily, just curious went you worded our that way "stays up around 12.2V". 12.2V is like vehicle off for most.

Well my voltages drops when the bass hits somtimes low 12's. but I meant like 13.8, sorry about that. I don't have a HO Alt yet either. Somtimes on songs tho it'll stay around 12.5 tho.

My guess is either you're clipping the signal, the song is dirty(causing clipping(, or you're wired at too low of a final impedance, causing the amp to protect.

Unless the wire is severely heating up, I doubt the wire is to blame.

Well clipping.. As I stated above have no clue. But the song is the "HD 1080P HQ" Version on youtube. And my final impedance is 2 Ohms. SX650.1 is stable in 2 Ohm mono. And I don't think the Wire is heating up to much, it's all OFC Sky High and Rockford Fosgate Wire. I will eventually put all 4 AWG in just haven't got to because just got the amp in mail today.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

For your ground, you need to remove any paint so the grounds ring terminal is on bare metal making it a metal on metal contact.

Seat or seat belt bolts are not the best usually, but for something so small I dont see it being an issue as long as you remove the paint where the ring terminal goes.

So are you playing music on your phone and using a 3.5mm headphone jack to your radio?

For your ground, you need to remove any paint so the grounds ring terminal is on bare metal making it a metal on metal contact.

Seat or seat belt bolts are not the best usually, but for something so small I dont see it being an issue as long as you remove the paint where the ring terminal goes.

So are you playing music on your phone and using a 3.5mm headphone jack to your radio?

Yeah I did all that, took the bolt to a wire wheel and cleaned it, then sanded the paint on the track to bare metal. My old ZR240 Never shut off though and the whole setup was exactly the same.

Most the time I play off a USB drive. and in my opinion I dont know if it's true or not but playing on a 3.5mm jack seems, How to say without offending, Cheap..? I guess? Not as efficient? I know alot of people use them but I don't personally like to. Should I? I play off my Bluetooth or my USB Charge cable when I don't use the USB Drive

Archived