Sundown Audio

Amp issues?

RyanRosier

what amp are you using that is cutting out?

how many amps are in the vehicle besides the one cutting out and what amps are they?

The Kicker SX650.1, it's cutting out. sorry to have confused you if I did.

No other amps in the vehicle. All others have been removed.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

I know all the settings on that amp are digital, do you have any idea on what the gain is set too, like is it set at 5 out of 10 or 3 out of 10 or whatever the numbers are?

Are you using bassboost on the amp?

The thing with using 3.5mm audio is some phones clip the headphone jack at max volume on the phone, some phones dont.

So you could be potentially clipping just do to using that, I wont use 3.5 myself either.

Bluetooth is ehhh, bluetooth audio quality is usually a lower or right around the same as FM radio, which is rather low, so Im not really a fan of that.

I find the best way is using a flashdrive, ipod/iphone, or even your android phone if you plug it in via usb and then your able to play which ever music is stored on your device as if it was a flash drive.

I dont think its any of those issues though, and think it has something to do with that 1 song your playing since its the only one that does it.

Or possibly a bad power or ground connection someplace. A bolt could be loose, maybe a bad crimp on the wire, maybe a corroded wire, etc.

So I would try disconnecting each connection 1 at a time make sure its all clean and the ring terminals are tight on the wires, connect it back up and then goto the next connection and so on.

Once you get done checking each connection then try the system again and see if the issue is still there.

Sometimes its as simple as a bad connection and when you just look at it you think its fine but its really not.

I know all the settings on that amp are digital, do you have any idea on what the gain is set too, like is it set at 5 out of 10 or 3 out of 10 or whatever the numbers are?

Are you using bassboost on the amp?

The thing with using 3.5mm audio is some phones clip the headphone jack at max volume on the phone, some phones dont.

So you could be potentially clipping just do to using that, I wont use 3.5 myself either.

Bluetooth is ehhh, bluetooth audio quality is usually a lower or right around the same as FM radio, which is rather low, so Im not really a fan of that.

I find the best way is using a flashdrive, ipod/iphone, or even your android phone if you plug it in via usb and then your able to play which ever music is stored on your device as if it was a flash drive.

I dont think its any of those issues though, and think it has something to do with that 1 song your playing since its the only one that does it.

Or possibly a bad power or ground connection someplace. A bolt could be loose, maybe a bad crimp on the wire, maybe a corroded wire, etc.

So I would try disconnecting each connection 1 at a time make sure its all clean and the ring terminals are tight on the wires, connect it back up and then goto the next connection and so on.

Once you get done checking each connection then try the system again and see if the issue is still there.

Sometimes its as simple as a bad connection and when you just look at it you think its fine but its really not.

I have the gain set at 8 out 12. I am not using bass boost. (Thats cheating isn't it? Like if you have a system thats all gain set correctly and then just loud by your volume you don't need a "boost" do you? I've always read that it makes is muddy and causes clipping. I can HEAR the muddy sound personally)

I always use the USB only if I don't have my Drive or Chord with me will I use the Bluetooth.

And well... Alrighty then! I checked the sick bay on that amp though, like the last 5 issues the amp noticed? And 3 of the 5 issues were "SERVICE" then it was Low Volt and Then my service. Because I put it in an first thing that showed up was Low Volt so that's how I know the other 3 were on the amp before I started using it.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

I cant tell you where to set it at but your gain is going to way off. Also causing the muddy/distortion sound.

Back the gain down and listen again. You will lose volume but gain quality.

Still learning but have started gathering.

Food for thought, if you have any of the eq's on your pioneer active you will distort your signal out much faster than you normally would. Clipping is a form of distortion.

I have a huge system if i start trying to get too crazy all 4 sub amps will go into protect as soon as the bas starts to get audibly distorted.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived