Second Skin Audio

1 HDC3 18" or 2 HDS300 15"

So to start off, im not trying to make this a vs thread, but is a serious inquiry on what would be the best option for me.

So I know that someone will bring up the fact that there is more surface area with 2 15s than 1 18, but im really into music from around 35hz and lower ( even 35hz is pretty high for me ). I rarely listen to anything higher than that. I like to be loud but i also love moving tons of air. with the 2 hds300 they both have 14mm of xmax while the hdc3 has 36mm of xmax. if im trying to move more air would this be the better option for me?

With ported boxes Xmax is not what determines your max output 99% of the time, FYI.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Space space space how much space do you have ? Do u have the electrical to support 2000 or more watts RMS ? You need to make sure u have the room for two 15" or a single 18" ever hear of a guy called DJ slow and throw ? he makes alot of remixed and rebassed songs and the guy EXO on youtube had DJST do a demo and he was running a single 15" sundown pusing 1800 watts and it was loud and CLEAN. U might only need one 15" if the box is built correct.

im not sure if anyone can give you the answer that your trying to get. First u need to determine maximum usable space u have. That idea of two 15" is more area than a single 18" i not 100% is true but its more than just saying 15+15=30 vs single 18.

Its really up to you and your avalible space, someone more knowledgeable might help with my opinion or give you a better idea. But for me space is always first, what style of box am i gonna build and also will my electrical support it. Im pushing around 1300 watts on my factory 136 amp ALT i cant go any bigger with out adding HO alt or batteries so my build stands where its at untill i upgrade my electrical.

Also there are PLENTY of guys running 12's and are killing low HZ. Big factors are the box build, avalible power applied and cabin frequency. A single 15" in a hatch back might sound amazing and just pound but u put the exact same sub and box in a ford excursion it might sound completly different. Box tuning is very important in YOUR vehical u might build two or three boxes until u get that perfect output ur looking for.

What vehical do u have ?

im not sure if anyone can give you the answer that your trying to get. First u need to determine maximum usable space u have. That idea of two 15" is more area than a single 18" i not 100% is true but its more than just saying 15+15=30 vs single 18.

15"s have ~800 sq cm of cone area, 18"s have ~1200 sq cm. So two 15"s is about 1/3 more cone area than one 18".

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

What we need from you:

What RMS are you going to be putting to them?

What size box are you planning on building?

What type of box are you building?

If I had the space, I'd do the two 15's

If I didn't, I'd do the 18".

You're going to need serious amps to push either.

Now if you have the space, and just can't afford two 18's, build sealed for the 18" and add another later, and add a port. If you design and build right, you could theoretically make an expandable box pretty easily.

im in the works of buying another vehicle in a few months, but dont know exactly yet, it will most likely me a mid to full size suv or a large hatch which would have enough space for either 2 15s or 1 18.

the box would be ported and tuned around 30hz

I would be giving them about 2k rms, so for the 2 15s they are 1k rms a piece and the hdc3 is 1500rms and should easily run 2k.

15"s have ~800 sq cm of cone area, 18"s have ~1200 sq cm. So two 15"s is about 1/3 more cone area than one 18".

Thats why i said im not 100% sure, glade you chimed in to give correct information.

Archived