Raw drivers

reedal

If you can find a tweeter that can play comfortable down to 2000 htz, you would basically have no need for a dedicated small order midrange (2.5" to 4") driver.

One of the reasons I hang on to my old component sets--OEM crossover set at 2500Hz.

That said my next build will be to 'top-half' my dash and get the midbass up there.

Static drops are my bag.

While you may be able to properly cross all those drivers by splitting up your high channel off the 80PRS, you won't be able to individually time align them, which is something you need to remember and plan for. If you're not doing a processor, you need to figure that out during the install. If you just plan on adding one later, then it's not a huge deal right now, but if you don't you need to tailor the path length between the two to your ear. Crossovers are only half the battle. You need to make it sound good after that too.

You said that it's time to put the tweeters on-axis; why do you say that?

Also, why do you turn off T/A for passengers? Most will never notice the difference if you don't tell them.

But you do need to get the tweeters higher, or possibly the kick. Door is generally no good. If you want three way, then get the tweeters and mids in the A pillar. Or sail panels could work too.

Like was mentioned, I think you can get away with a large format tweeter and a good 6.5-8" driver, and you would be better off as you can properly T/A them.

I completely zoned on the lack of T/A when having a three-way+ front stage on just the amps and 80prs. that would pose an issue.

I want the tweets on axis up on the pillar because right now all of the sound is coming from below my knees on the door panel. I would like for it to come from in front of me higher up.

I turn off the T/A for passengers because my most common passenger (my wife) noticed when I first did the T/A. She commented on how it sounded like only the passenger side mid/tweet by her was working, so I turned it off and she said it sounded better coming from both sides then. So I just make it a habit to turn it off when I have a passenger.

Definitely going to do the tweets on the pillars, sail panels are a no go as the dash blocks the drivers side sail except for a very small patch.

Thank you for the solid advice.

If you can find a tweeter that can play comfortable down to 2000 htz, you would basically have no need for a dedicated small order midrange (2.5" to 4") driver.

Most of those are kinda large and would look really good "stand alone" on axis up on the A Pilars or angled on the dash.

Not brand boasting here ... But I'd bet that if you could find a pair old school Blues Car Audio tweeters or something similar ... You might just be in the range you are looking for.

I really wish I had mine back ... They'd be going in the Ford tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tweeters I have now ... But they are a perfect match to my 5.25" drivers and just wouldn't want to break up the team if I didn't have a place for the midranges ...

As for the time alignment thing ... I agree with you brother.

This is why when you demo most Sound Quality vehicles ... You are usually the only one in the vehicle.

Which is why I love having everything up and out on the dash if possible ...

Blues is no longer around? I had no idea.

I meant their old school products when they were built in Stillwater Oklahoma.

Yes, Linear Power is in business.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived