Sonic Electronix

Is an upgraded head unit necessary?

Like the title says. Do I need an aftermarket HU or can I run a system with the factory HU? Also, why should I or should I not get an aftermarket HU? My system I'm wanting to build with be 1 possibly 2 15's on a AB 2krms at 1ohm. I'm new to the "professional" systems. That's why I am asking questions that may seem stupid. So, sorry. Lol

I had a VERY OLD kenwood head unit that had two pre-outs and were 2 volt or 2.5 volt. I upgraded my HU because im building my system and my new kenwood is a x399 excelon series i bought from custom sounds for like $130 and its got 6 preouts (front ,rear, and subwoofer) they are all 4 volt. I would say u need a strong deck with 4 volt pre outs or higher and have CLEAN rca signal. On a DD1 my head unit put out volume 35/35 with no distortion. Only factory head unit i kept was in my 96 mustang because it had the factory 460 watt mach 1 sound system. Other vehicals i just replaced with alpine kenwood or jvc decks. Maybe other members will chime in and give u an idea what they run or have ran. I like my kenwood x399 its very afforable clean output of 35/35 and has 4 volt preouts and u can build off it having 6 preouts....

Short answer, you can keep most stock units (you didn't say what you have) but it may not be as clean a signal as an aftermarket. As amplifiers only amplify the signal they are sent, the final product as a whole may suffer.

Static drops are my bag.

Have u done any wiring upgrade ? Throwing a 2k amp on ur stock electrical might cause some problems. U can run 1/0 power wire to ur amp but if ur factory ground wire is only an 8ga its gonna heat up the amp. Look into the bg 3 upgrade if u havent dont that already. To save money u can order 2 gauge welding cable its like $1.50 a foot on ebay and its good for about 200 amps on constant current. That 2k AB amp wont come close to drawing that much current so u will be fine.

I have a 2006 mazda 3 sedan. It doesn't have boss or anything. But it does have premium sound. I.e. door speakers and tweeters. I plan on the big 3 upgrade. This is the amp I would like to run:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0096BAS10/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2LH8DUZ1Q6T63

As for the woofer(s) I have yet to decide. So it looks as though I will need an aftermarket HU! Thank you!

Now, instead of starting a new thread, I have another question! ;) What should I do about mids and highs? Add a 4 chanel amp, upgrade speakers and tweeters, etc??

Yes you can use you factory headunit to run aftermarket amps, just takes some extra parts to get the signal from the deck to the amp. An aftermarket deck could allow more options as far as inputs, tuning, and running multiple amps if those are things that interest you.

I'm also wondering if I need to upgrade my door speakers and tweeters, or just get an amp for the mids and highs?? Thoughts?

None of us can tell you what you need to do. We can only help provide help with what you want to do. What does your current factory stereo sound like? What do you want to change about it? We don't drive your car, we don't listen to your music, so we cannot build your system.

Imo, my mazda isn't the worst sounding car, but it is definitely not great lol. I guess what I want is a solid sounding car with LOTS of bass. My wife and I both have an love for all this bass. However, I like being able to hear the actual music with the bass. Not just BASS. I don't want to get too monetarily involved in this car however. I'd like to keep my budget at $1k for woofer, amp, hu, doors, tweeters, etc. If I need to go over, I will, but, why not keep it low if I can? ;) thanks for all the input so far!

Archived