Second Skin Audio

Shifted Motor

Totalnoob

Hey guys i wondering what are possible ways a subwoofers motor get shifted? is it from clipping or from physical damage from dropping them or something?

Also what are possible way you can you tell if a subwoofers motor is shifted besides tearing out the cone and looking at the motor itself.

Hey guys i wondering what are possible ways a subwoofers motor get shifted? is it from clipping or from physical damage from dropping them or something?

Also what are possible way you can you tell if a subwoofers motor is shifted besides tearing out the cone and looking at the motor itself.

I've never seen a motor shift from clipping myself. Dropping them for sure, or over cleaning some with acetone I've seen.

Heat, or physical damage will shift a motor, even go as far as cracking all the way around the ferrite, happened to me once with a crossfire XS v.1 15... one ferrite lug cracked all the way around and shifted over enough that the coil was stuck on it. It was due from heat, my stupid ass freind put my sub and box outside with direct sun in 100+ weather and it was stiff, i took it out of the box and was fucked. The fix took awhile. I used a rubber mallett, and carefully hammered the ferrite to match all around, and made sure my coil was as centered as it could be, and then used a special jb weild all the way around, looked ugly, but i didnt notice any motor force missing :)

Archived