Sundown Audio

Help with my understanding of amps and impedence - Can I rig this?

s5300

Okay. Lets say I'm trying to run dual 2 ohm DVC subs. We'll say each sub requires 1200rms.

Shit - since I might even have my facts wrong, here's the subs. http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobile-audio/redline/700

Now - DVC 2 ohm means the amp impedance should be 1 ohm if I were to run a single sub.

Since I want to run two of these subs - the amp impedance should be 2 ohms - If I were wanting to run a 2400W RMS system - pushing these subs to their max rated RMS - I would need either a 2400W RMS @ 2 ohm amp or two 1200W RMS 2 ohm amps wired correctly.

So - my question is - is it possible that I could run a single 1200W RMS @ 1 ohm amp to each sub independently? Just a straight and simple wiring job? I ask because it seems a whole lot cheaper.

Is there something I am missing thinking this?

Thanks!

I take it that you already have the subs?

I do not. I'm making my whole build list before I order anything - want to get it all in at once and have a fun experience. Are there any other subs in that range you would recommend against the Redline 700's? If so - what and why?

Is there any performance benefit of having a 2400W RMS @ 2 ohm amp over the Two 1200W RMS @ 1 ohm amps? This is cutting my price down a lot if there isn't - pretty happy about that.

Edit: Also - What about a 2-Channel 1200W RMS (2400 total) @ 1 ohm amp? Would that also equally suffice power rise? I do hear there is sometimes some issue with using 2-channel on subs though? Thoughts on this?

I'd get the dual 4ohm subs and one 2400 watt amp. You can wire the dual 4ohm subs to 1ohm.

DD is a great brand, I'm more of a DC audio guy. The benefits of running at 2ohm is most amps are more efficient at higher ohms.

The draw back iis the cost to run at higher ohms. I'd get a Class D amp like a DC 2k, Soundquebed 2200 amp or DD M2c

If you are going to run 2 subs, get d4 or d1. Save yourself a headache.

As in DVC 4 ohm or DVC 1 ohm? I could get the redlines in DVC 4 - Though what is the actual difference in performance - or is there none?

If DVC 2 is such a hassle (which it kinda seems like it has been for me...) why do they make them? Not asking sarcastically, would genuinely like to know the purpose. Obviously, to wire differently to amps - But why not just DVC 4 for all? Maybe for running like, four subs because then it would total 4 ohms?

Have I been going about this in the wrong way the whole time? Haha.

Though to be fair - another reason I was looking in to the two ohm stuff is because I had considered buying Massive Audio Hippo 122's

Hell, I still consider buying them. 4000W RMS @ 2 ohm just seemed expensive as FUCK though for such cheap subs.

D4 or d1 will work.

D2 is not a hassle, it's just related to he amount of subs you are using and desired final impedance. A single sub would be great as a d2 on a mono amp.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for anyone. I just Installed 6 12" dual voice coil 4 ohm subs and I am getting a 1.4 ohm load can I do anything to drop that a little closer to 1 ohm because correct me if I am wrong but I am not pulling the full 1 ohm rated power off the amp at 1.4 Ohm and if that is the case I am not running enough power to the subs. So any one have an tricks ?

Archived