Second Skin Audio

To T-Line or not to T-Line, that is the question

Symmetry9898

So i recently purchased a Fi Team 15. I currently have two cheap JL 10's in a T-line box on low power but i love the way it sounds. I plan on running two T2500's on this sub tuned at 32hz. I know that the infrasonic filter on these rockford amps is something like 28 hz. My question is, with gains set properly with either o scope or dd1, would this woofer be safe in this kind of enclouse with that kind of power or would you run a normal slot port/areo port box?

Build in progress:

Kenwood DNX890HD

Rockford Fosgate White wolf RCA's

2 Rockford Fosgate T400.4 on RF fanatic q components (6.5 in the kick, 6.5 in the front doors, 5.25 in rear doors)
2 Rockford Fosgate T2500's on sub

1 Fi car audio Team 15 D1

XS Power D3400 and three D975's in the rear

Mechman Elite 370

Stinger power connections and cable

RockFord_Fosgate-1-1.png

Unless you are driving something ridiculously huge, I'd steer away from a T-line with a team 15. If my research is right, a t-line will only be advisable on a lower power set up, and those boxes are just massive by design. I'd say a team Fi on two 2500s would rule that out.

Secondly, T-lines scare the shit out of me personally, so I would avoid going with one...just me...

I think a solid, well built ported box would provide the optimal results with a set up like you've described.

B)

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

Depends on how you design the T-line, there are a lot of ways to do it and what will work best depends on your application. If you are thinking of doing the "tune the line to Fs and make line area = to cone area" method, I'd advise you to be pretty cautious. That design methodology results in a pretty big t-line that has pretty low mechanical power handling. It would be easy to push your sub too far.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

^ yes, but if you do decide to go that way, Triticum is your man to build it! :good:

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

I used the FS method to build the one in my truck now. It sounds phenominal, however lt is extremely low powered. I thought it would be cool though because on 100w that thing is loud, i could only imagine what 5k would sound like

Build in progress:

Kenwood DNX890HD

2 Rockford Fosgate T400.4 on RF fanatic q components (6.5 in the kick, 6.5 in the front doors, 5.25 in rear doors)

Mechman Elite 370

RockFord_Fosgate-1-1.png

I used the FS method to build the one in my truck now. It sounds phenominal, however lt is extremely low powered. I thought it would be cool though because on 100w that thing is loud, i could only imagine what 5k would sound like

if you break down what you said then 100w is loud what about 5000w.... what is the rms on the JL's you are using Im guessing they are more than 500w so with the mechanical limits on power with a t-line you would need a 25,000-50,000w rms sub and only put 5000w to it... lol

i see what you are getting at Motor city. So the most you would throw at a Fi team 15 is 1000w because its a quarter of the RMS power rating. Thats really why i asked the question because i wasnt really sure how much power would be safe in a box like that. As for the subs that is in the T line i have now, i dunno what the RMS is on them. They are the JL wx10's, 4 ohm single coils. They are being run off of one channel of a T4004.

Build in progress:

Kenwood DNX890HD

Mechman Elite 370

RockFord_Fosgate-1-1.png

You don't have to design T-lines in the dark, or purely by trial or error. There is software (like Hornresp) that can model T-line behavior, I can help you if you need.

With that being said, you are almost certainly going to get best performance out of a regular ported box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

thank you for your input triticum. I do appreciate it :domoslay:

Build in progress:

Kenwood DNX890HD

Mechman Elite 370

RockFord_Fosgate-1-1.png

Archived