Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

High transient response


akuma4u

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey

n00bish question - pls bare with me.

In order to achieve a high/good transient response which i believe is the ability of the subwoofer to hit and then return back to normal in the quickest amount of time (which would be great for music thats 150 beats per minute plus) would the sub itself have to exhibit /be built with a high level of transient response OR is the level of transient response dependent on the enclosure and only the enclosure?

in other words, can ANY sub exhibit a high level of transient response simply by placing it in the proper enclosure?

if this is true - then what type of enclosures produce the highest transient response?

if its not about the enclosure and its more about the sub itself - in the technical specs of the sub what am i looking for exactly to determine if the sub has a high transient response or not?

thank you

Posted

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/529189-subwoofer-transent-response.html

that should answer your question.

Look up BL factor, its a T/S parameter and refers to motor strength. May help...

Also if you are looking at a more academic look at it...Research Servo Subwoofers.

"recovery, accuracy, decay" those types of subjective terms usually confuse things.

thanks , ill look into that link.

and just for some extra info, the reason im asking is because i remember listening to several 3000rms+ systems and they pounded so hard with rap music which has slower bassnotes which are longer in duration. I remember popping in a cd of mine and playing dnb and some other electronic music which has much more faster , shorter bass hits in the range of 140bmp+ , the result? it sounded like crap. In all honesty, it didnt even sound like the subs were moving at all because barely any bass was being produced! i was pretty shocked when that happened. I did later try listening to the same tracks on a sealed box and there was more of a response.

I was then told the transient response has to be high with electronic music such as dnb or else it will sound like garbage.. the subs have to be able to hit hard and fast and recover almost instantly due to the basslines being so quick/fast and punchy.

so the BL factor.. the higher the BL the more transient it will be? is that how it works?

thanks for the reply

Posted

It's likely that the dnb music had a higher frequency of bass than the rap, and the system had a low tuned box so your music sounded off. Speakers move in and out 20-80 times a second. Any decent speaker can easily play 150bpm music. Make sure your sub box is tuned for a flat bandwidth instead of tuning low for the hippity hop.

Posted

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/529189-subwoofer-transent-response.html

that should answer your question.

Look up BL factor, its a T/S parameter and refers to motor strength. May help...

Also if you are looking at a more academic look at it...Research Servo Subwoofers.

"recovery, accuracy, decay" those types of subjective terms usually confuse things.

thanks , ill look into that link.

and just for some extra info, the reason im asking is because i remember listening to several 3000rms+ systems and they pounded so hard with rap music which has slower bassnotes which are longer in duration. I remember popping in a cd of mine and playing dnb and some other electronic music which has much more faster , shorter bass hits in the range of 140bmp+ , the result? it sounded like crap. In all honesty, it didnt even sound like the subs were moving at all because barely any bass was being produced! i was pretty shocked when that happened. I did later try listening to the same tracks on a sealed box and there was more of a response.

I was then told the transient response has to be high with electronic music such as dnb or else it will sound like garbage.. the subs have to be able to hit hard and fast and recover almost instantly due to the basslines being so quick/fast and punchy.

so the BL factor.. the higher the BL the more transient it will be? is that how it works?

thanks for the reply

higher the BL the stronger the motor. As far transient...theres a lot of factors that I would guess go into that. BL would be a easy thing to look for.

read this. http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=faq1

the Q of a driver...Qes Qms Qts also talk to electrical and mechanical properties of the driver. Which go into efficiency. If you google Understanding T/S Parameters I think it will help you out. The Q figures help you determine what enclosure you should choose for a specific driver.

Posted

It's likely that the dnb music had a higher frequency of bass than the rap, and the system had a low tuned box so your music sounded off. Speakers move in and out 20-80 times a second. Any decent speaker can easily play 150bpm music. Make sure your sub box is tuned for a flat bandwidth instead of tuning low for the hippity hop.

I'm tuned low for hippity hop, and have a generously flat frequency response. it is very responsive even above 100hz (not that I'll have to hear that once I put the HATS in). The hippity hoppity sounds good, the classic rock sounds good, the metal (new and old), the country. I haven't tried any jazz yet. :) it's possible to have the best of both worlds (tuning low and flat response)

Posted

It's likely that the dnb music had a higher frequency of bass than the rap, and the system had a low tuned box so your music sounded off. Speakers move in and out 20-80 times a second. Any decent speaker can easily play 150bpm music. Make sure your sub box is tuned for a flat bandwidth instead of tuning low for the hippity hop.

I'm tuned low for hippity hop, and have a generously flat frequency response. it is very responsive even above 100hz (not that I'll have to hear that once I put the HATS in). The hippity hoppity sounds good, the classic rock sounds good, the metal (new and old), the country. I haven't tried any jazz yet. :) it's possible to have the best of both worlds (tuning low and flat response)

well tunning low usually = flat response thats the benefit. And lower overall output or SPL.

Posted

It's likely that the dnb music had a higher frequency of bass than the rap, and the system had a low tuned box so your music sounded off. Speakers move in and out 20-80 times a second. Any decent speaker can easily play 150bpm music. Make sure your sub box is tuned for a flat bandwidth instead of tuning low for the hippity hop.

I'm tuned low for hippity hop, and have a generously flat frequency response. it is very responsive even above 100hz (not that I'll have to hear that once I put the HATS in). The hippity hoppity sounds good, the classic rock sounds good, the metal (new and old), the country. I haven't tried any jazz yet. :) it's possible to have the best of both worlds (tuning low and flat response)

well tunning low usually = flat response thats the benefit. And lower overall output or SPL.

is it possible to have a lot of output/spl with a flat response ???

Posted

It's likely that the dnb music had a higher frequency of bass than the rap, and the system had a low tuned box so your music sounded off. Speakers move in and out 20-80 times a second. Any decent speaker can easily play 150bpm music. Make sure your sub box is tuned for a flat bandwidth instead of tuning low for the hippity hop.

I'm tuned low for hippity hop, and have a generously flat frequency response. it is very responsive even above 100hz (not that I'll have to hear that once I put the HATS in). The hippity hoppity sounds good, the classic rock sounds good, the metal (new and old), the country. I haven't tried any jazz yet. :) it's possible to have the best of both worlds (tuning low and flat response)

well tunning low usually = flat response thats the benefit. And lower overall output or SPL.

Not necessarily. Enclosure size will play a bigger role I believe. You can tune high, have a smaller than recommended enclosure and have a flat response, or vice-versa, tune low, big enclosure, big peak, shit response for music

Posted

It's likely that the dnb music had a higher frequency of bass than the rap, and the system had a low tuned box so your music sounded off. Speakers move in and out 20-80 times a second. Any decent speaker can easily play 150bpm music. Make sure your sub box is tuned for a flat bandwidth instead of tuning low for the hippity hop.

I'm tuned low for hippity hop, and have a generously flat frequency response. it is very responsive even above 100hz (not that I'll have to hear that once I put the HATS in). The hippity hoppity sounds good, the classic rock sounds good, the metal (new and old), the country. I haven't tried any jazz yet. :) it's possible to have the best of both worlds (tuning low and flat response)

well tunning low usually = flat response thats the benefit. And lower overall output or SPL.

is it possible to have a lot of output/spl with a flat response ???

yes. Is it easy or cheap. No.

Look up some of the build longs on here where people are building setups for 32hz and under. Also download WinISD and model a couple subs in enclosures with different tunning frequency and see what it does to the frequency response curve.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2936 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...