Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Maybe time for a wall soon?


Recommended Posts

Posted

What vehicle? Crossfire XS-4K was the amp in mind to do 5-6K at half ohm.

1999 bmw 528i wagon

Sorry, I missed the vehicle from the earlier posts. I did see the 528i upon reading later.

so is that your way of saying im shit out of luck for an alt?

Posted

Lol, so you are saying I would have been better off running 4 amps that put out 3500W at 2ohm each than my 4 doing 3500 at .5? Do you have any idea how much that shit would cost compared to what I paid for my amps and electrical? It's almost always people with a little bullshit 2kw system saying to do stuff like that.

i have a little bullshit 2kw system right now :cray:

Posted

This is your most cost effective .5OHM stable amp.

http://www.droppinhzcaraudio.com/sound-magus-vs3500-1-high-performance-class-d-5-ohm-stable-mono-bass-amplifiers/

According to the AD-1 dyno, it got 3930w @ .5OHM on the certified test with 1% distortion and 13.95V.

thanks for the suggestion! very on point. i cant help but think tho, that due to box rise and possible electrical dips, that this would likely be under powering all 4 since it's already under rms for 4 in a perfect scenario. what would the next step up likely be? say 6k at 0.5?

Posted

Anyways op, the point I was making originally is you shouldn't wire under 1ohm. It is more stressful to the amp over time. I personally like my equipment to last as long as possible, without having to repair it. And if I don't want it anymore, it still works and I can sell it for a decent price.

So my suggestion is run at 2ohm if you buy two more D4's. Or, sell your two D4's and buy four D1's and run your amp at 1ohm.

what about running 2 1 ohm stable amps, one to each pair?
That is also an option. And one that is probably cheaper than a single amp at 2ohms. Just remember that they must be gain matched, and if you use the filters on the amplifiers they should be matched as well.

yeah i figure if im going to do the wall itd be good to buy the appropriate gain matching smd tool, which would be what btw?

CC-1. Also will set your filters: subsonic (high pass) filter and low pass filter

Posted

I run half ohm daily on an amp that puts out 5-6K and I don't have much $$ invested.

I also beat the shit out of my equipment daily, for extended periods of time. I don't see the validity in either argument you're making. Suggesting got a guy that is about to wall his vehicle to run his amp at two ohms is like telling a dragster to "keep it in second gear".

The validity is the term of life for equipment that is being stressed with heat and pushing everything it can for extended periods of time over and over, versus the term of life for equipment that doesn't have to work as hard to make the same power, doesn't have the heat from drawing more current than it was designed for and being pushed to do more work than it was designed for.

And that comparison is apples and oranges. Not even close to each other unless the dragster can win in second gear as he can in 4th or 5th or 6th depending on the car. Because you can get the same exact power from an amp that makes it at 2ohm compared to an amp that makes it at .5ohm.

I get that you think you're right because a book of theory tells you that you are. In the real world, you're half ohm vs 2 ohms is NOT correct. I have ran my amp HARD at half ohm with good elecrrical for over a year. I smoked an amp wired at 1 ohm under the same conditions. I'm MUCH louder with a single amp at half ohm than I was with 2 amps at 1 ohm. I switched from 2 3500s at one ohm to a 4K at half and gained on a meter. I'm also NOT scared of longevity because I know I can feed that amp the voltage it needs to live a long, happy life.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

Anyways op, the point I was making originally is you shouldn't wire under 1ohm. It is more stressful to the amp over time. I personally like my equipment to last as long as possible, without having to repair it. And if I don't want it anymore, it still works and I can sell it for a decent price.

So my suggestion is run at 2ohm if you buy two more D4's. Or, sell your two D4's and buy four D1's and run your amp at 1ohm.

4 D1 coil subs wire down to a final load of half ohm...Not 1 ohm.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

Anyways op, the point I was making originally is you shouldn't wire under 1ohm. It is more stressful to the amp over time. I personally like my equipment to last as long as possible, without having to repair it. And if I don't want it anymore, it still works and I can sell it for a decent price.

So my suggestion is run at 2ohm if you buy two more D4's. Or, sell your two D4's and buy four D1's and run your amp at 1ohm.

4 D1 coil subs wire down to a final load of half ohm...Not 1 ohm.

It was a typo. I meant D2, thumb hit the one instead of two.

Posted

I run half ohm daily on an amp that puts out 5-6K and I don't have much $$ invested.

I also beat the shit out of my equipment daily, for extended periods of time. I don't see the validity in either argument you're making. Suggesting got a guy that is about to wall his vehicle to run his amp at two ohms is like telling a dragster to "keep it in second gear".

The validity is the term of life for equipment that is being stressed with heat and pushing everything it can for extended periods of time over and over, versus the term of life for equipment that doesn't have to work as hard to make the same power, doesn't have the heat from drawing more current than it was designed for and being pushed to do more work than it was designed for.

And that comparison is apples and oranges. Not even close to each other unless the dragster can win in second gear as he can in 4th or 5th or 6th depending on the car. Because you can get the same exact power from an amp that makes it at 2ohm compared to an amp that makes it at .5ohm.

I get that you think you're right because a book of theory tells you that you are. In the real world, you're half ohm vs 2 ohms is NOT correct. I have ran my amp HARD at half ohm with good elecrrical for over a year. I smoked an amp wired at 1 ohm under the same conditions. I'm MUCH louder with a single amp at half ohm than I was with 2 amps at 1 ohm. I switched from 2 3500s at one ohm to a 4K at half and gained on a meter. I'm also NOT scared of longevity because I know I can feed that amp the voltage it needs to live a long, happy life.

There is NOTHING theoretical about an amp being more efficient and lasting longer wired to a higher load that doesn't put it under as much stress due to creating less heat, and not being pushed to squeeze everything it can out. And while you have good electrical and haven't fried your amp yet, what about the people who HAVE, who also have had good electrical on their 3.5K and 4K amps, but shit blows? That's great that yours is lasting. But whether it's a high quality amp or a mid or low quality amp, it still has limits, limits that are more likely to be met at half ohm. Feeding it the voltage and amperage it needs doesn't change the efficiency of it, it simply means that you're able to combat against the inefficiency of wiring lower

Posted

I'm not arguing your efficiency, you're absolutely correct. Longevity in the REAL world on the other hand, yeah I'll contest that.

You suggesting to a guy to buy a $1500 amp to run it at 2 ohms is a silly suggestion. Plenty here on SMD run half ohm load and have had great success doing so. We are also not going through equipment with underwear changes. I get that YOU think it's silly to run anything below 1 ohm, but on most ANY of these modern day Korean amps, they'll be fine if you can feed them what they require and send clean signal.

We aren't going to find a middle ground I don't think, let's agree to disagree. I know you're not an idiot and have knowledge and are trying to help a fellow SMD'er. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

P.S. Sorry if I was a bit asshat-ish

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2217 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...