bmwking Posted January 29, 2016 Report Posted January 29, 2016 So I have an idea and I want to know what you all think of it. I have a 99 528 wagon. 2 AB XFL1244s run by a PH4000MD. Enclosure is built to AB SPL spec tuned to roughly 34-36hz. I love em, they dig low and get loud (to me). However, now that the bass bug has bitten me harder than it ever has and because I will be at a point in my life that can afford such things, I'm thinking about getting 2 more XFL1244s and another PH4000MD and doing a c-pillar wall. I think just a regular ported wall will be fine while still leaving me room for amps and batteries behind the box, but I'm not really sure. I just dont know how much space the other types of walls generally take up. What would be the best option for me? My workable space is roughly (give or take an inch or two) 35"top width and 43"bottom width x 29"h x 42"d My ultimate goal is to be loud, I know I probably wont be in the 150s or anything, but I'd like to get a decent hairtrick while still able to beat on it and have it musical. Maybe tuned to 32hz? I'm just not sure, i need your assistance folks. So am I crazy? Or is my budget wall idea pure idiocy?
bighossf150 Posted January 29, 2016 Report Posted January 29, 2016 I say go for it, but I'd run more power, my old set up was 8 xfl 12"s on 4 bc3500's and it did a 158.9 in the kick Used to have a loud truck 2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq 2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s
bmwking Posted January 29, 2016 Author Report Posted January 29, 2016 I say go for it, but I'd run more power, my old set up was 8 xfl 12"s on 4 bc3500's and it did a 158.9 in the kick I loved reading your entire BL too Bighoss, it was a great encourager for my choice in the XFLs. I know SMD hates to read this, but could I run the 2 ph4000s initially and then further down the road step up to a big, single, 0.5ohm stable amp? if so, what would be a good choice for an amp to do 4k-5k rms at 0.5 ohm? Obviously I'll be on a budget so I think let's keep it under 1000 for the amp if possible?
gckless Posted January 29, 2016 Report Posted January 29, 2016 I say go for it, but I'd run more power, my old set up was 8 xfl 12"s on 4 bc3500's and it did a 158.9 in the kick I loved reading your entire BL too Bighoss, it was a great encourager for my choice in the XFLs. I know SMD hates to read this, but could I run the 2 ph4000s initially and then further down the road step up to a big, single, 0.5ohm stable amp? if so, what would be a good choice for an amp to do 4k-5k rms at 0.5 ohm? Obviously I'll be on a budget so I think let's keep it under 1000 for the amp if possible? If you want to do the work, and can live with it, then why not wall it? It's perfectly fine to run lower power, just set gains correctly and don't try to push them harder than they can handle. And go with 1ohm, the amp may be a little more (shop used) but electrical will be less, which costs more. Plus it's easier on the equipment and your ears. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
bmwking Posted January 29, 2016 Author Report Posted January 29, 2016 I say go for it, but I'd run more power, my old set up was 8 xfl 12"s on 4 bc3500's and it did a 158.9 in the kickI loved reading your entire BL too Bighoss, it was a great encourager for my choice in the XFLs.I know SMD hates to read this, but could I run the 2 ph4000s initially and then further down the road step up to a big, single, 0.5ohm stable amp? if so, what would be a good choice for an amp to do 4k-5k rms at 0.5 ohm? Obviously I'll be on a budget so I think let's keep it under 1000 for the amp if possible? If you want to do the work, and can live with it, then why not wall it? It's perfectly fine to run lower power, just set gains correctly and don't try to push them harder than they can handle. And go with 1ohm, the amp may be a little more (shop used) but electrical will be less, which costs more. Plus it's easier on the equipment and your ears. You think a 1 ohm amp would be ok with 4 4 ohm dvcs wired down to 0.5? would i be safe because of box rise and all that black magic? an I'd love to do the work, i enjoy it. I wonder if anyone could comment on the best style/size enclosure for me?
bighossf150 Posted January 29, 2016 Report Posted January 29, 2016 2.4 cubes each, 16sq in of port per cube tuned to 32hz Used to have a loud truck 2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq 2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s
reedal Posted January 29, 2016 Report Posted January 29, 2016 I say go for it, but I'd run more power, my old set up was 8 xfl 12"s on 4 bc3500's and it did a 158.9 in the kickI loved reading your entire BL too Bighoss, it was a great encourager for my choice in the XFLs.I know SMD hates to read this, but could I run the 2 ph4000s initially and then further down the road step up to a big, single, 0.5ohm stable amp? if so, what would be a good choice for an amp to do 4k-5k rms at 0.5 ohm? Obviously I'll be on a budget so I think let's keep it under 1000 for the amp if possible? If you want to do the work, and can live with it, then why not wall it? It's perfectly fine to run lower power, just set gains correctly and don't try to push them harder than they can handle. And go with 1ohm, the amp may be a little more (shop used) but electrical will be less, which costs more. Plus it's easier on the equipment and your ears. You think a 1 ohm amp would be ok with 4 4 ohm dvcs wired down to 0.5? would i be safe because of box rise and all that black magic? an I'd love to do the work, i enjoy it. I wonder if anyone could comment on the best style/size enclosure for me? I think he was saying wire your amp to 1ohm when you get a larger one. But seeing at that isn't an option for your voice coils if you get two more 4ohm DVC's, I personally would suggest an amp that puts out the power you need at 2ohm. But that's me. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
magillaru Posted January 29, 2016 Report Posted January 29, 2016 If you're already contemplating about doing a wall, just do it because you'll be wishing you had a year from now. Singer Alternators Team Asshole #anothershittysingerbuild
bmwking Posted January 29, 2016 Author Report Posted January 29, 2016 2.4 cubes each, 16sq in of port per cube tuned to 32hz i wonder if someone could model this for me?
CleanSierra Posted January 30, 2016 Report Posted January 30, 2016 I say go for it, but I'd run more power, my old set up was 8 xfl 12"s on 4 bc3500's and it did a 158.9 in the kickI loved reading your entire BL too Bighoss, it was a great encourager for my choice in the XFLs.I know SMD hates to read this, but could I run the 2 ph4000s initially and then further down the road step up to a big, single, 0.5ohm stable amp? if so, what would be a good choice for an amp to do 4k-5k rms at 0.5 ohm? Obviously I'll be on a budget so I think let's keep it under 1000 for the amp if possible? I know of a good amp that would fit that description... Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.