Chevy Regulated Voltage Control Questions

I recently bought an 06 tahoe that has this "regulated voltage control" crap. I also bought a mechman 370 amp alt and inside of the big 3 kit that came with it was a sheet of paper with a couple different wiring diagrams. It says for 2005+ only add a ground from the alternator to the battery and no body or frame grounds. Now this confuses the hell out of me. Does this mean i can't ground my rear amps or batteries grounds to the body or frame? Am i going to have to do a couple runs of negative wire from the front batt to the rear? Or is there a way i can disable the RVC system all together and wire everything up normally? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I know in the 08 Trailblazer I had, if you did a ground from the battery to the alternator it would act crazy. I just did battery to frame. In my 04 Tahoe none of that shit was a problem. For some reason the Trailblazer charged at 13.8 but the tahoe is at 14.4 so it might be something to the 05's and up but I don't know for sure.

I know in the 08 Trailblazer I had, if you did a ground from the battery to the alternator it would act crazy. I just did battery to frame. In my 04 Tahoe none of that shit was a problem. For some reason the Trailblazer charged at 13.8 but the tahoe is at 14.4 so it might be something to the 05's and up but I don't know for sure.

Just a WILD guess, when u grounded the ALT with extra wire it created a ground loop. Most vehicals have a body, engine and frame ground wire and adding that extra wire just threw the electical path off. Ur alt is grounded to ur engine which is grounded by the engine ground wire going to the battery.

Charging at 13.8 volts isnt bad at all its very normal to charge between 13.8-14.4 like u stated although it would be nice to get that .6 volts back :(

I recently bought an 06 tahoe that has this "regulated voltage control" crap. I also bought a mechman 370 amp alt and inside of the big 3 kit that came with it was a sheet of paper with a couple different wiring diagrams. It says for 2005+ only add a ground from the alternator to the battery and no body or frame grounds. Now this confuses the hell out of me. Does this mean i can't ground my rear amps or batteries grounds to the body or frame? Am i going to have to do a couple runs of negative wire from the front batt to the rear? Or is there a way i can disable the RVC system all together and wire everything up normally? Any help is greatly appreciated.

All vehicals have a voltage regulator, its either external or internal. Urs is internally controlled by ur ECU u cant change it, if u buy an external regulater and rewire its gonna throw the engine code on i DONT recommend it if this is ur daily driver.

As far as the big three i would just look at ur main factory ground wires and ur alt power wire and just replace them with the bigger cable u have in ur kit. If u think too much into a wire upgrade ur just gonna over complicate it.

Just a WILD guess, when u grounded the ALT with extra wire it created a ground loop. Most vehicals have a body, engine and frame ground wire and adding that extra wire just threw the electical path off. Ur alt is grounded to ur engine which is grounded by the engine ground wire going to the battery.

Charging at 13.8 volts isnt bad at all its very normal to charge between 13.8-14.4 like u stated although it would be nice to get that .6 volts back :(

lol, wtf are you talking about?

lol, wtf are you talking about?
??? Most engines are grounded on the engine block so adding an EXTRA ground at the ALT might have caused a ground loop and might explain why when u said that YOU added a ground wire from ur ALT to ur battery ground it started acting up.

Then i said its acceptable for the charging system to be in the 13.8-14.4 range

I dont get what you dont understand ? If im wrong please explain because i said nothing wrong.

??? Most engines are grounded on the engine block so adding an EXTRA ground at the ALT might have caused a ground loop and might explain why when u said if u added a ground wire from ur ALT to ur battery ground it was acting up.

Then i said its acceptable for the charging system to be in the 13.8-14.4 range

I dont get what you dont understand ? If im wrong please explain because i said nothing wrong.

Dude, what extra wire? Did you not understand that I did every wire on my Tahoe for the big 3 and ended up doing the big 2 on my Trailblazer, not because of a ground loop but because my Trailblazer had some funky ground sensor. Also, I was saying that maybe the 05 and up chevy's charge different then the ones below, using my 2 suv's as an example because one was an 08 and the other 04, which I know isn't the best example since they are different engines as a base. Honestly, and I'll say this as nicely as possible, if I need advice, I wouldn't ask you or take yours. I didn't say charging at 13.8 is bad or that I had a problem with it doing that. It seems like you read every 3 words of my post and the OP.

OP, from my understanding, there is a current sensor on the factory ground wire for your battery, and any additional grounds to the battery must be run through that. The problem with that is, that sensor is too small to add any wire that would be suitable for the big three. So the only option is to either not do the big three, or to run a dual alt setup, with your high output as a charging system ONLY for a rear battery bank/amplifiers, completely separate from the main charging/starting system, otherwise your new alt will charge higher than it should be. As for grounding your amps and rear batteries to the frame, that should be fine, just not to the front battery.

If my information is off, I'm sure ToNasty will be here soon to correct it as all of his posts about the current sensors are what I'm trying to remember without searching the forum for it.

Edit: here you go OP. Maybe this will help. ToNasty explains it easier than I do. Since I don't have it. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/198746-tahoe-battery-current-sensor/

I know in the 08 Trailblazer I had, if you did a ground from the battery to the alternator it would act crazy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ALT is already grounded on the engine and the engine is either grounded to the frame or has a ground wire going to the battery so that being said when u grounded the alt to the battery i ASSUMED YOU ADDED an extra ground wire

For some reason the Trailblazer charged at 13.8 but the tahoe is at 14.4

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I never said 13.8 was bad i was just saying that 13.8-14.4 was acceptable as a charging voltage nothing else

i didnt mean to get anyone upset, hope you get ur alt and big three wired up

Archived