mediumrarechicken Posted February 6, 2016 Report Posted February 6, 2016 Never had a sub or after market anything besides a deck. I have a 2014 wrangler unlimited with the basic system. There is no bass, it's sad as hell really. I've skimmed over some forums and gone into a couple shops that haven't been any help. I originally was thinking of doing an sd3 10 under the rear seat, but was told it wouldn't be ideal, besides he wanted 400 bucks for the box. I didn't really want a box in the back but I suppose I can get away with a small sealed box. I've been looking at so much stuff that I'm more confused than ever. I want more sq, but still want to beat the hell out of a sub when the kids arnt with me. I've been eyeing the sa12, idq12 and fi q 12. From what I've come up with is that I'm less likely to want to add another sub if I go with the fi. Amp wise I'd go with sun downs 1k amp or zapco 1350 for the fi q. I've been focusing on the sub more than the amp, that research comes next. 33 years old and never had a subwoofer, what the hell is wrong with me? Any and all comments are welcome.
Ahmed Johnson Posted February 6, 2016 Report Posted February 6, 2016 Ive been telling all my friends to go FI.
ShadeTreeMechanic Posted February 6, 2016 Report Posted February 6, 2016 Welcome to SMD! You are in good hands. Maybe someone with a Jeep will chime in. Since you are thinking of a 12 inch sub, will it be going behind the back seat? A ported box will give more output than a sealed box. 91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco) 250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon) G65 AGM Up Front / Two G31 AGM in Back Pioneer 80PRS CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon) Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)
Swisher2015 Posted February 6, 2016 Report Posted February 6, 2016 I think the Fi would be the best of both worlds, especially if you've never had anything aftermarket. I'm not sure how set you are about an amplifier but if your not wanting to take up much space I'd maybe try the symphony 1500, I've been looking to purchase one and they do rated and have a very small footprint. Silverado Mechman 240 Big 3 2 SA-12's Rf speakers Pioneer x8700 Coming Soon Symphony or SAE1500 SAE 50.4 D3400
mediumrarechicken Posted February 6, 2016 Author Report Posted February 6, 2016 Welcome to SMD! You are in good hands. Maybe someone with a Jeep will chime in. Since you are thinking of a 12 inch sub, will it be going behind the back seat? A ported box will give more output than a sealed box. Yeah behind the seat. I'm doing sealed because the wife already isn't too happy about taking up space in the back. Happy wife happy life.....
ShadeTreeMechanic Posted February 6, 2016 Report Posted February 6, 2016 Are you going to get an amp for the front too? It won't take much for a 12 to overpower front speakers on head unit power. If you want a balanced sound that is. 91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco) 250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon) G65 AGM Up Front / Two G31 AGM in Back Pioneer 80PRS CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon) Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)
mediumrarechicken Posted February 6, 2016 Author Report Posted February 6, 2016 I'm going to get an amp then better speakers after I get the sub in. Baby steps.
emurra7 Posted February 10, 2016 Report Posted February 10, 2016 I wouldn't overthink your sub choice too much. Get a sub designed for a small sealed enclosure like a sundown sd-12 put some decent power to it and you will be happy. It's very challenging to get any decent sq from a jeep and never mind when you go topless. My advice is don't over spend for premium equipment that just won't yield good results in your vehicle. I would place a premium on securing and protecting equipment from thieves and the elements
3vil Posted February 10, 2016 Report Posted February 10, 2016 I think you should buy a nice set of headphones. Taking the top off will completely remove what cabin that vehicle has. If you wanted to get a little loud that's something you could overcome with better speakers and more power, but wanting to do a more SQ oriented build means that all your tuning is going right out the window (and roof) when the top is off. I'm not saying your listening goals are impossible, but you have a big hurdle to overcome. Maybe having all the front stage on-axis might help some, even though the perceived output would be lower with all the wind/road noise?
mediumrarechicken Posted February 11, 2016 Author Report Posted February 11, 2016 I have a hardtop and two little kids that don't like it when the windows are down. I'll buy a soft top one day so tell wife and I can enjoy the sun, I'll likely pull the sub out when I throw the soft top on. The hardtop is surprisingly quiet for what it is, there are cloth inserts for it, but to me though looks silly because the inside of the top is white.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.