Second Skin Audio

Best 12 for small ported box

SCATHED

I'd like to get 2 12s in about 2.5 cubes on 2000 watts. Amp is a crescendo bc2000. I currently have a Fi Bl 12 on that amp

You have a pretty nice setup right there for the space you have, I just don't see any couple of 10s doing significantly better.

My buddy picked up an SSD. The build quality on it was immaculate. Not to mention everything is high quality as well. I really want a Q after seeing it, but SSDs are great too.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I like see is better honestly. More efficient design, especially since they're flared.

You need to do some math to see what it displaces.

I can do that.

Here is a rough sketch:

T4sQqXK.png

The port is 6.5" tall and gives us 34 sq in of port area.

Compared to using two 4" aeros the slot port has 35% more port area. It has just slightly more internal surface area than the aero's would (590 sq in vs 578 sq in), so with the greater port area I would put my money on the slot port being more efficient. The downside is it takes up more internal volume than the two 4" aeros would (740 cu in for the aeros, 935 cu in for the slot port). The slot port would make for a stronger box though.

Both options have their tradeoffs, just throwing out there one way it could be done.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'd like to get 2 12s in about 2.5 cubes on 2000 watts. Amp is a crescendo bc2000. I currently have a Fi Bl 12 on that amp

You have a pretty nice setup right there for the space you have, I just don't see any couple of 10s doing significantly better.

Increase in cone area

Increase in cone area

113" to 157" isn't exactly what I'd call significant. The motor force is the factor I'd consider more important. 2 subs equals twice the motor force.

In terms of real world output, going from 1 good quality 12 that handles 1500W to 2 good quality 10s that handle 1000W each, gain will be minimal.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Increase in cone area

And you are right but what would be the effective gain by swapping to 2 SSDs? I did a plot to estimate the difference, the red curve is your actual setup, 2.5 net single bl12 on 2K, and the blue line is your prospective upgrade 2 SSD 10 on 2K:

1bl122ssd10.jpg

Let's say it's a 2 dB gain over what you have, assuming you did a good box for your BL12 you would see a very little gain, not saying is not worth it at all but if you are buying new subs and rebuilding your box I would expect more for the money and effort, my recommendation is if you are going for two tens (and that's all you have space for) then look for higher end tens and more power.

Right now the box for the BL is probably a little short on port area. It's 2.3 cubes net tuned to 35hz with three 3" aero ports. Sub is on 2000 watts.

Thoughts on the box? Should I shrink it down since the sub is being overpowered a little? My goal is to just get the loudest I can with the space that I have.

Increase in cone area

And you are right but what would be the effective gain by swapping to 2 SSDs? I did a plot to estimate the difference, the red curve is your actual setup, 2.5 net single bl12 on 2K, and the blue line is your prospective upgrade 2 SSD 10 on 2K:

1bl122ssd10.jpg

Let's say it's a 2 dB gain over what you have, assuming you did a good box for your BL12 you would see a very little gain, not saying is not worth it at all but if you are buying new subs and rebuilding your box I would expect more for the money and effort, my recommendation is if you are going for two tens (and that's all you have space for) then look for higher end tens and more power.

That's an interesting chart. Looks like audible gain is hardly anything.

Right now the box for the BL is probably a little short on port area. It's 2.3 cubes net tuned to 35hz with three 3" aero ports. Sub is on 2000 watts.

Thoughts on the box? Should I shrink it down since the sub is being overpowered a little? My goal is to just get the loudest I can with the space that I have.

With three 3" aero ports you are a LOT short on port area. You should probably around 35-40 sq in of port and right now you have 21. You COULD gain significant output just from rebuilding your current box with a more appropriate amount of port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived