DIY CNC Router Build

Made some more progress on the CNC.

There are two torsion boxes that connect the left and right X-axis towers, here is the lower one that goes beneath the cutting table. I still have one more side to attach, but I took this pic so you can see what's inside:

I2tcTDH.jpg

This is the upper torsion box that the Y-axis rails will be mounted to:

TNpkHyC.jpg

Here I'm drilling the screw holes for one of the Y-axis rails, yay for milling machine:

cBH3hHt.jpg

I mounted both the torsion boxes to the X-axis towers, just need to attach the rails:

hFVWksT.jpg

Next step after I attach the Y-axis rails is to build the carriage and Z-axis. I hope to have the basic construction done in the next week or so. Then it will be on to figuring out all the motion control stuff, which will probably take a while.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I finished the carriage that runs along the Y-axis:

BLSuqk6.jpg

Here it is installed:

rdUcoWp.jpg

Then I got started on the Y-axis lead screw, I'm getting impatient and I want to get something hooked up so I can see it move under its own power!

P1TdCrn.jpg

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I got started on the Z-axis rails. Unlike the X & Y axis rails, these use ball bearings riding along a solid steel rod:

W2Lgzms.jpg

Here are the rods installed in the Y-axis carrige:

cgtWwIc.jpg

The Z-axis carriage:

WR1JUcU.jpg

VVPuu1D.jpg

I still need to trim off the ends of the U-bolts:

1ZodYxQ.jpg

Z-axis leadscrew is installed:

jm5GrSF.jpg

Construction is mostly complete, all the leadscrews are in, I just need to build the stepper motor mounts now:

zbi1RGl.jpg

Builds:

More progress tonight.

I built the motor mounting brackets, trimmed down the leadscrews and installed the motors. Then I couldn't help myself and I had to get the motor wired up to confirm the thing can actually move under its own power:

ZXwVSpp.jpg

Here it is from the side the router will be mounted to:

zwabcDo.jpg

Here is a video of it doing some test movements:

Its not the most exciting 46 seconds of your life, but hey the thing moves so yay for me.

While this is definitely a big milestone in the construction of this thing, its still has a long way to go before it will be ready to actually cut something. At least seeing it move has really gotten me excited to get it done so hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can put it to work.

Builds:

Awesome job. I am uber jealous....

If I had the room, I would definitely have my own DIY router...

2011 Chevrolet Aveo(click for build log)
Clarion NX-603
SKAR 4500.1D
Iraggi 320A alt

Knukonceptz 1/0 Kollosus Fleks Cable
8 AWG Sky High Car Audio OFC

1/0- Sky High Car Audio

2- XP3000 XS Power Batteries
SMD VM-1
2- 12" Ascendant Audio Mayhems

Toolmaker Fuse block

Toolmaker Bus Bars

(Last Season scores 1-15" Mayhem)

145.2 dB- Sealed @ NSPL World Finals (9/28/14)

148.1 dB- Hardcore @ NSPL World Finals (9/27/14)

150.23-- Hardcore on 4500 Watts!!!!

New Build (2015, 2-12" Mayhems)

146.9- Sealed on dash

149.6 dB- Hardcore in Kick (No wall 0-24" Hardcore)

one question, is that the max travel speed?

No, it will move much faster than that. That was just the test program I was running. I was playing around with it today and I could get 150 IPM traverse speeds on the X & Y axis. I tried 180 IPM but that was a no-go. How fast it will be able to go when it is actually cutting remains to be seen. I'm hoping for at least 60 IPM.

Builds:

Here is my latest progress, it makes sawdust!

Over the past couple days I attached the gantry tower braces, installed the drag chains, mounted the power supply and control board, and built and attached the router mount.

Here it is ready to go:

ki7eweH.jpg

And this is the business end:

e35Z4VT.jpg

At this point I had to power up the router and actually see it cut something. The software for my stepper control board has a little demo, here is a video of it in action. I apologize for the poor lighting and you may want to turn down your audio unless you like the sound of a screaming router:

This is what it cut out:

u2XdmbR.jpg

I'm really happy with how its working so far. On the to do list is to install the wire up the limit switches, attach the T-track and spoil boards to the cutting table, and tweak the control settings more.

Builds:

Archived