Vinyl Audio Transfer Method

Dunno if anyone else listens to vinyl on here but I have some albums that I just can't cart around with me, until now. So this is my setup

Marantz TT42-P turntable

marantz-toca-discos-vinil-tt42p-produto-

Alto ZMX 862 Mixer

83405_l.jpg

Zoom H4N

Zoom%20Recorder%20H4N.jpg

VinylStudio

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/

So pretty basic, use the automatic turntable into the Aux IN on the mixer, then out through the Main Mix of the Alto mixer into the Mic inputs on the H4N.

Gets you a nice 16bit, 44.1Khz WAV file that you can then clean up in vinyl studio, get the hiss and pops out and also break up the tracks and put album covers and stuff that like on it.

Really nice and awesome for archiving purposes. There ya go...I know you could go through an AVR or something like that. Also Musichall has some USB turntables but those are the only ones I trust. The Zoom does an amazing job and lets me get archival copies which I can turn into FLAC files or something else later on.

A friend from work wants his 200+ record collection digitized....you still have to let the record play and do all the work in the background even with the vinylstudio software...I am doing 5 of them for him...thats it! :)

How much did that cost ive seen a player that plugs right into a usb and converts them to wav.. for $99.. my cousin has a crap load of reocords. So i was looking for her...

Turntable: $330

Alto mixer: $80

Zoom H4n: $200

Vinyl Studio: $30

Misc cables: $25-50

yea...so heres the problem. Its all about the DAC/preamp. With the above setup I somewhat remove that issue with the Zoom. Also the Marantz has a nice built-in phono preamp.

And if you are talking about the ION turntables or most of the usb ones...they're complete crap. They're made of plastic...the tonearm is too light, the cartridge is awful and the needle is bad. And oh by the way the cartridge and needle is like tires on your car...its the only thing that meets the road or record in this case. And you still need to be able to clean up the pops and hiss so you STILL need to process it through vinyl studio. The marantz doesn't have an amazing tonearm or anything but I can't argue with the sound. I have heard the sound of the IONs and they are really bad.

Probably the only turntable that has USB out that I would trust is the Musichall USB-1 but even that I don't really think is great, you end up with a OK turntable for $250 that is manual which means you are going to have to monitor the record and then process it through vinyl studio.

The nice thing about the Zoom and the Marantz is that I can set it and forget it and the Zoom automatically stops recording and the marantz stops at the end of the record. Its convenient. (also I replaced the cartridge on it, Denon makes one that is better though, automatic and you can put really nice cartridges on it)

Really the bes thing to do is get a Schitt Audio DAC and go for a nice Pro-Ject/Musichall or Rega turntable into your computer and you would have a nice setup.

http://schiit.com/

Whatever way you do it, unless you HAVE a turntable with a phono preamp already you are probably going to be into it for $500...

(also theres this tutorial http://blog.birdhouse.org/2011/02/20/digitizing-lps/comment-page-1/

I dont remember the brand but ion doesn't sound familiar. Im not to worried about it i think she decided to not transfer them anyways... ive always wanted some vinyl especialy since i seen a few newer albums out in them and i like how they soumd... but i wont listen to much at home so i never got a turntable maybe someday.. lol ok they where new albums 10 years ago lol havent looked much since then

Archived