Pioneer AVH-X4700BS reboots then quits working

I had a similar issue with my 80prs during the winter. I redid my ground for the HU and the issue stopped. Might want to try that.

Interesting....I assume that you weren't having problems before winter? Can't hurt to check it out.
Nope. No issues until December, then every time I would turn it on, I'd have to reset the clock and other things on the main menu. Luckily, all my crossover points, T/A, and other settings for the speakers were saved. But it was rebooting itself every time until I messed with my grounding point. Apparently the factory radio ground wasn't good enough for the PAC adapter module and the 80prs during the cold

Not trying to thread jack, in for info. So you had a separate interface from PAC to wire the HU to the car? I have a lan-9 interface in mine. Good to point out.Did the OP have any other things in between?

He doesn't say, but maybe he will include it after reading your post?

But yes, I use to the PAC OS-2X in order to retain chimes and the factory amp/speakers until I got my old equipment installed. Plus, I believe the CAN II data bus travels through the factory radio, and I didn't want to cause any errors/faults/codes by not having that. And no splicing of wires makes for easy reinstall of factory equipment if that day ever comes. I switched to a dedicated ground and the resetting issue stopped.

Gravlin216, I was wondering if other models were doing this. Do a little googling and you'll find others who are experiencing the same problem, and at least a few of them were told the same thing by Pioneer customer service. I couldn't agree more that it's bs, who in their right mind would make a car stereo that won't tolerate cold weather? We unhooked the battery with no luck, not sure the 4700 has a reset button?

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/899365/Pioneer-Avh-X5700bhs.html?page=8#manual

This is the manual for your headunit. Look at diagram at this link. The reset button is labeled #8. It's at the bottom right hand side of the head unit.

This is the manual for both the 4700 and 5700

Gravlin216, I was wondering if other models were doing this. Do a little googling and you'll find others who are experiencing the same problem, and at least a few of them were told the same thing by Pioneer customer service. I couldn't agree more that it's bs, who in their right mind would make a car stereo that won't tolerate cold weather? We unhooked the battery with no luck, not sure the 4700 has a reset button?

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/899365/Pioneer-Avh-X5700bhs.html?page=8#manual

This is the manual for your headunit. Look at diagram at this link. The reset button is labeled #8. It's at the bottom right hand side of the head unit.

This is the manual for both the 4700 and 5700

Thanks, Gravlin, did not know that. Maybe my kid does?

Tuned in as I just installed the same HU last month. OP, let us know how you make out. I have a dedicated ground to solid dash metal on mine.

Same here. I know that because I installed it. Nothing else in line either. Still, I'm going to check ground when my kid comes home this weekend.

Installed in my son's car about Last July or August. Unit was brand new. Apparently it started rebooting frequently after a few months of normal use, then it progressed to a blank display and no lights on buttons. Now buttons are illuminated, but no display. Pioneer says it's because the weather turned cold, but it doesn't matter how warm you get the interior of the car, it won't come back to life. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

That BS. I have the AVH-X4800BS and live in northern NY where it get's pretty damn cold and this doesn't happen to me. I would just try to reset the headunit back to factory setting or try to load the previous saved settings.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/899365/Pioneer-Avh-X5700bhs.html?page=6#manual

Try unhooking the battery for a min or hitting the reset button on the device.

Where is Northern New York? I live on the southeast corner of Lake Ontario.

Installed in my son's car about Last July or August. Unit was brand new. Apparently it started rebooting frequently after a few months of normal use, then it progressed to a blank display and no lights on buttons. Now buttons are illuminated, but no display. Pioneer says it's because the weather turned cold, but it doesn't matter how warm you get the interior of the car, it won't come back to life. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

That BS. I have the AVH-X4800BS and live in northern NY where it get's pretty damn cold and this doesn't happen to me. I would just try to reset the headunit back to factory setting or try to load the previous saved settings.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/899365/Pioneer-Avh-X5700bhs.html?page=6#manual

Try unhooking the battery for a min or hitting the reset button on the device.

Where is Northern New York? I live on the southeast corner of Lake Ontario.

I'm right at the border of Cornwall Ontario. Massena.

I have this exact same h/u and it did the exact same thing to me. Pull it out and check the entire harness for any wires that are at all loose or not taped off. Did this to my suburban and it hasn't given me problems since. I found that some of the wires that aren't used during installation are still very much live and if you forget to tape off just one it will short the whole thing out.

I have this exact same h/u and it did the exact same thing to me. Pull it out and check the entire harness for any wires that are at all loose or not taped off. Did this to my suburban and it hasn't given me problems since. I found that some of the wires that aren't used during installation are still very much live and if you forget to tape off just one it will short the whole thing out.

I'll double check to make sure that isn't the case. Normally I'll bend the unused wires into a loop and put a little heakshrink over them. Something could have slipped off.

Unit is currently out and headed to United Radio for repair. Display is cracked, which happened after problems started. Kid says he didn't abuse it, just pressed on it when we had single digit temps last week. I don't know if that's possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Got it back from United Radio of Syracuse today and re-installed. Fixed under warranty and working fine. Bad component in the control circuit and a bad resistor according to the repair sheet, sounds like a motherboard issue. Two thumbs up to United Radio though. Fast free repair, what's not to like about that?

Archived