Second Skin Audio

Sealed box sounding bad. need some help.

Amart88

UPDATE 2... shrunk to 0.3ish cubes and it made no difference. lost a lot of low end. I'm ready to quit. seems to be peaking really fucking high. like 40-50 hz with polyfill is a lot cleaner and louder than any other frequency. 2/3 of volume and it sounds ok. at lower freqs i can get maybe 1/3 of volume before it goes all to hell. sounds good quiet though....

Hey Hunter/Kyle, he messaged me on FB too. I'm sure I was 4th or 5th in the PM train but I suggested the leak.

I'm at a loss for why the subs wouldn't sound clean. I think it's a setting, or distortion from the HU/amp.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

UPDATE 2... shrunk to 0.3ish cubes and it made no difference. lost a lot of low end. I'm ready to quit. seems to be peaking really fucking high. like 40-50 hz with polyfill is a lot cleaner and louder than any other frequency. 2/3 of volume and it sounds ok. at lower freqs i can get maybe 1/3 of volume before it goes all to hell. sounds good quiet though....

I'm not surprised shrinking down your box volume made things worse. Lower box volume is going to raise the QTC, which will cost you low end output.

Is it possible you are getting distortion in your signal chain somewhere that's causing the problem? Pretty much what CleanSierra said. Do you have another sub/box you can wire up to your amp and see how it sound without changing any settings anywhere?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm not surprised shrinking down your box volume made things worse. Lower box volume is going to raise the QTC, which will cost you low end output.

Is it possible you are getting distortion in your signal chain somewhere that's causing the problem? Pretty much what CleanSierra said. Do you have another sub/box you can wire up to your amp and see how it sound without changing any settings anywhere?

No, but i am going to possible make a simple square box to test with. I have a pioneer avh-4700bs HU. i was playing with all the settings. lpf at 80 -12db slope. mute att is off. eq was flat. everything is at 0 no bass boost. etc. Maybe just me but i swear i could smell something funny around the amp/woofers when i was checking settings.

Honestly, i does sound like distortion. like what happens when you turn the factory HU up too loud. but only on lows or maybe easier to hear on lows. I used the dd-1 on the amp and hu so i know they are clean.

I really think his expectations on the output of a sealed under seat box is to high

IMO

He said a few times he loves the sound untill he trys to wang on it

typical sealed box output even more so under a seat down firing if you ask me

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I really think his expectations on the output of a sealed under seat box is to high

IMO

He said a few times he loves the sound untill he trys to wang on it

typical sealed box output even more so under a seat down firing if you ask me

Honestly, this could really be it. Sealed downfire boxes under rear seats sound great on music and anything 40 Hz and higher. I've not heard any dip below that while sounding good doing it.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Welp... that could be. But just seems weird how it will sound good on low volume. but when the same song is turned up to its max clean volume it sounds like crap. hard to explain. doent get loud and clean. but maybe you are right, if that's the case something will change. ain't having it. got too much money and time into it at this point. I need some sub stage.

Welp... that could be. But just seems weird how it will sound good on low volume. but when the same song is turned up to its max clean volume it sounds like crap. hard to explain. doent get loud and clean. but maybe you are right, if that's the case something will change. ain't having it. got too much money and time into it at this point. I need some sub stage.

you can reach the max output of a sealed box way before you reach the max clean output of an amp/sub

from the box I see in the pics i would expect low 130's dbs out of it and that is being generous

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

This is what really makes me wonder if the distortion is coming from somewhere in your signal chain. Sealed boxes are just really hard to screw up.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived