Using AMM-1 to find enclosure tuning frequency

MOHpro

With the AMM-1, how do I find the tuning frequency of my enclosure. My subwoofers are wired at 2 ohm. Would I play different test tones until the meter reads 2 ohms. Then whatever the frequency is of the test tone that I am playing at the time the meter reads 2 ohms would be the tuning frequency of my enclosure?

I may be wrong, but I think you need the IM-SG for that

You can do it with an AMM-1, but its not the most accurate. You want to play test tones while looking for the point where your impedance is the lowest, it probably won't get down to 2 ohms, but there should be a point were it increases if you increase or decrease the frequency of the tone.

Now for the easier and more accurate way. Play test tones through your subs at moderate volume. Watch the cone movement, the frequency where cone movement is the least and increases if you increase or decrease the tone frequency. If your subs are facing up, or the box can be placed so the subs are facing up, you can put something like salt or sawdust on the cones you help you see when they move the least. I use this method all the time.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived