Sundown Audio

Can I run an amp this much bigger on my set up?

JerryLZ

Appreciate the responses. Just to be clear I don't plan to run this on stock electric after my upgrade. Sure my 1000w does what it needs to right now but when I do replace my subs, I'm doing the works on my electric so big 3, high output alt, batteries etc. I just need to know if I can run a big amp on my 1000w set up if the amp is toned down basically.

Note: Both my subs are D4

And this is a 09 F150, stock electric but somewhat on the beefy side.

You should be OK at 4ohm on amp do not run at 1ohm.untill your electric up to par,even at 1ohm on those subs your taking a risk of smoking them.
Im referencing this link http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/sundown-audio-scv-3000d-3000w-mono-block-amplifier.html

Couldn't I do 2ohm and just not crank it up? according to that, the 4ohm is worse than my 1000w but 2ohm I could get 1500w?

Even if you could wire at 2ohm you wouldn't hear much or any at all difference between 1000 to 1500 watts. we are trying to help you with out smoking your stuff.if you want to go against our advice have at it.

I'm not going against advice but I'll admit I'm not advanced in car audio, I only know the basics more or less. I mentioned the 2 ohm because I found a chart on crutch field about wiring it but if it's not a thing then it's not.

Edit: I see where I F'd up. It does say 2ohm DVC on the top of the chart I was referring to so I got excited for a minute like that would work but now I understand how the ohms work.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurationsm.asp?Q=2&I=42#results

That link shows you your available wiring options. In order to do two ohm, you'd have to have two single voice coil 4ohm subs, or two dual voice coil 2ohm subs.

You guys have more or less answered my main concern, but just for the sake of it... Would a 2k rms amp still be too much to run on 1ohm? This is assuming I was to find one at a decent price before I get all of my electrical upgrades done and buy new subs.

Well you can dial the gain back but you won't know exactly how much power you're feeding them without the proper tools. You might also have low voltage issues with stock electrical and a 2k even if you aren't running it to its full capability.

I feel, if it's in your budget, go with 3k+ at 4ohm now and address your electrical system, and that'll give plenty of power to go with bigger subs down the road.

Archived