Lights dim - HO alternator

How do I go about checking resistance of a particular ground. I used the NVX big 3 upgrade kit with ring terminals attached on one end already. I didn't need anymore ring terminals because my battery terminals and fuse block don't require them.

Op, traditional style headlights change intensity when voltage fluctuates. This alone isn't a cause for concern. As long as voltage stays at healthy levels then all is ok.

You can improve the integrity of most OEM circuits by adding grounds though. When done properly, you can optimize performance of your OEM electrical components. i.e. starter, injectors, headlights, power windows, etc.

Add more reserve to your trunk IF the dimming is bothering you. with 1200 watts I wouldn't be so O.D with electrical.. If you plan to upgrade to a larger system down the road, then ante up

But What Do I Know?

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8

• JVC KD-R975BTS
  • Clarion EQS746
  • Kenwood P907PS
  • Ascendant Audio 12" Havoc v.1
  • Ampere Audio 2000.1
  • MB Quart Onyx 800.4
  • XS Power D3400 - Hood
  • XS Power D975 - Trunk
  • Singer 240A
  • Sky High OFC 0 & 4 gauge
  • Kno Knoise Kolossus Deadener

Get hid's and a relay harness, light dimming problem solved.

You are way over thinking this.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

It sounds like your alt isn't pushing the amperage that it should be.

X2

Wanna place bets on it?

Incandescent bulbs are easily effected by small voltage changes, no alt is going to stop them from dimming.

Op You could add more battery reserves so the voltage doesn't drop as fast if it really bother's you.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

No it doesn't bother me at all. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't taxing my electrical system somehow. I will be getting a new AGM battery in the near future to compliment the upgrades I made so far. That makes sense that incandescent bulbs will dim with any voltage drop. The dimming really isn't bad at all compared to what it used to be so I must have done something right. Thanks guys.

Have you contacted DC about this? All of us are giving you opinions but you can get feedback from them as well. Each car is different but I don't think you should have dimming lights on a 250 alt with 1200 watts even if you haven't upgraded the battery. That alt can handle 3x that power.

Call DC power. Tell them the problem. They should be able to tell you the next steps.

Archived