Sundown Audio

sound quality differences between mono amps

VDub916

I currently have a Hifonics brz 1700.1 that has been great over the last 4 years. All of my previous subs have been wired down to 2 ohms or below but recently I was given a jl 12 w7 3 ohm.

The hifonics should put out around 700-900 watts at 3 ohm. I feel like the w7 is lacking in volume as well as clarity, but maybe I am expecting too much from a single sub setup . Would I benefit from switching out the hifonics for a jl slash 1000? And is there noticeable sound quality differences between higher end amps compared to a hifonics, specifically mono blocks. Or is a watt a watt?

Pls let me know what you think, thanks in advance!

Anyone have any advice?

If you are looking for "Sound Quality" (and I'm almost positive that you sound quality and my sound quality are two different monsters) ... Look elsewhere than mono blocks.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Gains are matched to the headunit, I don't think there would be an issue there.

And when comparing the Amps, the slash only claims to put out 100 watts more, that's why I was asking you guys for your opinions. I wasn't sure if it would make a noticeable difference to fork out $400 plus for a new amplifier. I'm just looking good clean power. Not looking for ultra audiophile sound quality options at the moment, maybe in the future!

The JL sub is definitely not the part that is "lacking", those 12w7 get down. As far as the amp goes, switching from Hifonics to JL will be night and day. JL offers true rms 1.5-4 ohms (i believe). Also, jl amps have a wide range of operating power voltage. You can get more power at lower voltages and have room to account for rise. CLEAN power at that. IMO hifonics amps sound gritty through the sub. but what do i know...

But What Do I Know?

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8

• JVC KD-R975BTS
  • Clarion EQS746
  • Kenwood P907PS
  • Ascendant Audio 12" Havoc v.1
  • Ampere Audio 2000.1
  • MB Quart Onyx 800.4
  • XS Power D3400 - Hood
  • XS Power D975 - Trunk
  • Singer 240A
  • Sky High OFC 0 & 4 gauge
  • Kno Knoise Kolossus Deadener

Gains are matched to the headunit, I don't think there would be an issue there.

And when comparing the Amps, the slash only claims to put out 100 watts more, that's why I was asking you guys for your opinions. I wasn't sure if it would make a noticeable difference to fork out $400 plus for a new amplifier. I'm just looking good clean power. Not looking for ultra audiophile sound quality options at the moment, maybe in the future!

Its not a matter of the hundred watts. Hifonics is only "good for the money" LOL

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Exactly what I was looking for. Anyone know of a jl 1000 for sale!? I've looked through the classifieds and haven't found anything. Best deal I could find on Craigslist is $280 but I don't know how to test to see if the amp works. I can make it turn on but how do I test sound output? I've read that these amps have problems where they power up but don't have any output.

Archived