Jump to content

Quick build: The "Jelly Roll" box.


Recommended Posts

Posted

I feel like this is one of those boxes that'll be way louder than it has a right to be

:popcorn:

Kind of the thought I had too. I have a feeling this box is going to get silly

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Posted

Wicked enclosure design! Too bad you didn't go horn with it.

2011 Ford Crown Vic LX, LActrical 240A alternator, A6 Pro, Orion Cobalt CBT.3500.4, 2 CO652C's, CBT.4500.1, 8 JBL GX1200's in an Isobaric BP4.

Posted

So updating this...

Stuart (FricaseeKid) and I loaded up and headed to Ft Worth for a MECA show last weekend. This would be my first MECA show.

Ol' Jelly Roll wired up and ready to roll. En route to Texas.

3CB08D66-6801-4E41-949F-EDC30D688844_zps

Ampere sponsored the show. T-Fade sighting in there.

7DA6576A-1184-483E-839F-109D94D18B1F_zps

Big Boss Andrew Bailey enjoying some of Stuart's finest.

CA3AD6AA-1A1F-4EE9-AE17-8E6728E42631_zps

Me getting a demo of Mark Eldridge's NASCAR. This thing is bananas.

37328F5E-0D4E-4A08-8BB8-4AA2B023721D_zps

Best steak I've ever had in my life. Some heavy hitters in this pic.

990B65FB-5745-4AAD-AAE6-1C6CB0EE575D_zps

Anyway... back to the Jelly Roll. RTA measurement. We messed up and made a damn low tuned SQ box. (Just kidding. That was kinda the point)

87AB3AD9-5E13-4E42-B848-CC4442021325_zps

Result?

660694D5-5220-4EC3-ACF0-8F2B86394B7A_zps

Show was awesome. Had a fantastic time. Well worth the 18 hours round trip. Jelly Roll managed a 149.0dB at the headrest on ~ 3k. One of the top scores in the country this year. As you can see from the RTA... the thing gets low and is pretty nasty for (3) 12's. Everyone who got a demo was duly impressed. Even the SQ guys were coming over to compliment us on the box. And it's quite difficult to lure them away from their area. They don't wander into the SPL side very often. Lol.

Notes: On paper, the box is tuned much higher. We counted on some boundary loading to lower the in-car extension, but we got more than we bargained for. The box also behaved as if it was much larger than the actual volume. I'm curious to know why. I have some theories, but I need to collect more data before I call it. Overall... the box is a win. It's not going to win a world championship in SPL, but it sounds great, gets low as shit and is very efficient.

Into the burn pile and onto the next one...

Posted

Nice.

Thing looks flat as balls eh? I can't really see a peak or am I high?

Nice work man.

To the former, looks like yes, maybe a 9 dB spread between 24 and 60 hz, and to the latter, ya you might be lol, you tell me

I had a feeling this box was going to get down, damn fine numbers indeed sirs, quite impressive.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Posted

The RTA is a bit misleading as far as the ripple. I did quite a bit of "track up" testing to find my peak and... I couldn't find one. Lol.

Usually you track up and the score will jump a few tenths at a time, maybe .7-.8 when you find the sweet spot. But this thing wouldn't budge. Quite a different algorithm between the TL and FFT though.

Anyway... built a ghetto SPL oriented box for all (4) 12's for the show today so we'll see how that one does. Still learning the truck. And the roof is taking an absolute beating. I have GOT to get my VibraFlex up there. Anybody wanna come help?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1896 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...