(2) sa-18 SPL box build ideas....

So i have two SA-18's in a 10.5 cube net box tuned to 32 hz with 127" of port powered off a 1500 watt amp.... in cabin high 30's to low 40's appear to be the loudest to my ears. It falls fast after 60hz but thats ok because i listen to alot of modified music thats 48hz and lower.

Curious to maybe build an SPL box to swap out for fun. Not quite sure if the SA-18 is a good contender for SPL due to not haveing alot of travel in the suspension compaired to other brands and models of 18" subs. But if its worth a shot what specs should i build to ? Hopefully gonna upgrade to a 2k amp in a few months so i know my current box will play the SA's ok on 2k.

Just looking for opinions if its worth building an SPL box for these subs or should i just run my current set up for music and invest in better subs for SPL...

Have you actually metered it or are you guessing how loud it is?

No i havent metered it yet and i know better than to guess its dB output... I build this current box to play daily and low.... I was asking for ideas to build an SPL box for comp but wasnt sure if the SA-18 is a good enough contender for SPL comp. I need a bigger amp, a 2k or so. Last box i had two 15" subs and i clamped it @ 950 watts @ 1 ohm 40 hz... I havent clamped this new box yet so idk what its putting out.

Well, what are your goals? If you haven't metered it yet I have a hard time imagining you are wanting to compete. But are you wanting a burp box? To me that's what I think when I hear SPL box. Maybe you're thinking something different though?

How much power you are going to run to them will determine how large you need to make the box as well as how much port area you will need. Spl setups will always be tuned higher than daily because you want to try and match the peak to the resonant frequency of your vehicle. Have you found you resonant frequency yet?

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Im still pretty green in car audio sense but yes, im entertaining the idea of a burp box. Current box is 10.5 cubes net tuned to 32hz with 127" of port off 1500 watts this is my daily beater... I planed on getting a 2-2.5k amp maybe an SQ 2200 and build an SPL box around 10 cubes net and tune it to maybe 38 hz not sure how much port area i need maybe 120-140 inches ?. Im my truck with a tone gen 38-45 hz seem to be the loudest IMO..... I havent competed yet but my setup is very basic, SA-18's powered off a cheap 1500 watt amp and door speakers powered off the head unit... I want to compete after i wire up my second battery and install an amp for my door speakers.

Ive heard of people burping these SA-18's on 1.5-2k EACH sub but i want longevity out of these, 600-1000 watts is typical for the SA-18 that is also why i asked if its worth building an SPL box for these because i dont wanna over power them too much like how some people do in dedicated SPL builds.....

I hope i havent lost anyone yet, im entertaining the idea of building a dedicated SPL box to swap out for comp only and when im done put my daily box back in. A 2k amp would power the daily box and the SPL box. Basiclly the SPL box would be tuned higher towards cabin resonant frequency and my daily would still be tuned @ 32hz.....

Is it worth the $100 in materal to build an SPL box for what i wanna do or is it a waste of time and money in my situation ?

Maybe you could modify the port on the box you have to make it adjustable or have interchangable ports? Maybe a port insert if the port is big enough?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived