secondary battery, diode isolator, am I going to burn it down?

Yeah that would work. For about two songs. Then you would need to drive around for an hour to re charge. Try it out and let us know how it works.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Alternators do not enjoy charging drained batteries, it's a good way to kill an alt.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'm not sure, but from your logic is seems that you believe that only 60 amps will be allowed to flow through the 8 gauge wire. I don't know where the hell you got that from. The current rating of the wire is what it can handle continuously, you could pulled 1000 amps through 8 gauge wire, but it wouldn't last. If you put 8 gauge wire and the system starts pulling more than the wire can handle it will either A. Pop the fuse you have or B. Start increasing the temperature of the wire, and possibly burn through the jacket, if hot enough

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

I knew a kid in high school who did exactly this with some boss amps and Thump! 12's. He had some kind of fifth wheel charging system mess and all he ended up doing was killing his deep cycle in the trunk.

SITUATION:

I figured it out, and I'm sure you're all stoked to turn on the flames even more for this word: capacitors.

BUT NOT THE ONES YOU THINK OF. no sh*t. At first glance the word "ultra capacitor" seemed like a marketing gimmick, but after researching the products, they're baller, and weren't designed for car audio uses, more for storing wind/fossil fuel/solar generated electricity.

BACKGROUND:

If you want to say something negative and not actually pay attention, then watch some of this:

It's a bit long for my attention span, but at 2x, the point gets across. These do the work desired.

ASSESSMENT:
This: EDIT (added this, correct link): http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/k2-2-85-series/

http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/k2-2-85-series/documents
Run 6 in series to create a maximum operative voltage level of 17.1V, well within the safety of a car's electrical system, and adding a buffer for when they degrade in like 10 years.
This would hold 566.67F at max capacity, which wouldn't be reached due to not charging to 17.1V. 14.4v/17.1v = about 84% capacity or 477 farads of capacitance at best.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

I know that people usually install caps with stupid-huge wires, like 4/0, but that doesn't make sense since the alt can't put out that much, and the amps cannot draw more than what they're designed. My RF T.1500 uses 4AWG, and the new Hertz 4x 120w RMS amp does too, Is there any actual need to use something larger? Can I just cut the 4AWG, plop the cap in line to both amps and add a 2AWG ground for the cap?
Also, does anyone have any experience wiring these things up? Maxwell sells a kit that prevents over charging, but it seems like it's meant for lower power applications, being able to burn off 220mA.

1995 Subaru Impreza Wagon

140A semi-HO alt upgrade

Sony GS810-BT

Hertz HDP.4 120w RMS x 4 @ 4 Ohms

German Maestro 2-way AC6511 - front door

Kicker 2-way 6.5" - rear towers

Rockford Fosgate T1500-bdCP

2x 12" Alpine Type-R parallel @ 2 Ohms - sealed box

At a minimum I would do 1 run of 1/0 to the rear for that setup,

I think you aren't understanding that the amps will try and pull that much current even if it's not being produced by your alt and the lower your voltage goes the more current they demand.

They use large Guage wire to hook up cap banks because the caps can draw an insane amount of current to charge themselves up.

There is a good thread on here about using ultra caps, I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'm going to guess he hasn't found out how expensive they are yet.

Archived