Gregg Elias Posted May 28, 2016 Report Posted May 28, 2016 Hey just wondering if I can leave the distortion detector plugged into the speaker outputs while the speakers are hooked up also and playing music? Sort of like using it as a clip light.
RainStryke Posted May 28, 2016 Report Posted May 28, 2016 You could... but you will be using up a lot of 9V batteries.
im_quagmire Posted May 28, 2016 Report Posted May 28, 2016 I'm almost afraid to ask, but I will anyway... WHY? The purpose of the DD-1 is to find your highest volume without distortion. There is no point in using it as a "clipping" light. Set your gains appropriately, put your DD-1 in your shed and bass on. But What Do I Know? 2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8 JVC KD-R975BTS Clarion EQS746 Kenwood P907PS Ascendant Audio 12" Havoc v.1 Ampere Audio 2000.1 MB Quart Onyx 800.4 XS Power D3400 - Hood XS Power D975 - Trunk Singer 240A Sky High OFC 0 & 4 gauge Kno Knoise Kolossus Deadener
RainStryke Posted May 28, 2016 Report Posted May 28, 2016 If you wanted to do that, I'd suggest spending the money on a OM-1 that you set-up with your DD-1.
Skater229 Posted May 28, 2016 Report Posted May 28, 2016 Or a VU-Din... So you can watch both a sub amp and mids amp as well... 2010 Chevy HHR Panel (Work in progress) Pioneer AVHX-5800BHS McLaren MLM880's and MLT2's 2ea per door on a DC 175.4 Two DC Audio M4 Level 5 15's On A DC5K Alt CES 200/270+ 4ea Banks of Maxwell 2.7v 3000f caps for a total of 2000f 1ea XS 3100 and 2ea NSB FT170 Batts for 450+ah Not a HUGE build but here it is... DC Audio HHR Build
Gregg Elias Posted May 28, 2016 Author Report Posted May 28, 2016 Thanks everyone. I'll look into those. I just wanted to use it to monitor my system for a bit while I got a feel for which music is going to push it into clipping before others. I'm not going to trust that because my max is 59 undistorted that some music won't do it sooner. I'm not listening to 40hz recorded to the same level as setup cd!
reedal Posted May 28, 2016 Report Posted May 28, 2016 As stated, an OM-1 or a VU-din is what you need. Music has distortion in it, even if the signal isn't clipped, so if you leave the DD-1 hooked up, you will constantly see the distortion LED lit up and you'll continue to turn down the volume until you can't hear it anymore. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.