Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

D7500 Inside Ported Enclosure?


Knocker

Recommended Posts

Posted

I need to reduce my box volume by about 3/4 of a cubic foot. I was planning on using pieces of 4×6 to fill that space. Can I put my D7500 inside my ported enclosure? It displaces .58 cubes. The box is for a Mayhem 18. Will that damage the battery or will any possible out gassing damage the driver?

Posted

It has been done but the times I have seen it it was in a walled vehicle, mainly a 4th order bandpass due to lack of room in vehicle to have them anywhere else, curious to others thoughts though. As long as box is mounted down decent or something I cant see how the vibration would be any greater than any of the other places in the car

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Half a cube?? Doubt you'll even know or hear any difference.

But, I'd just add a 90 in a corner, or cut a 2x4 down and toss the pieces on the side.

Ok. Went with your 2×4 idea and it took care of my bracing needs as well. About to slap the front on. Thanks.

20160818_135148_zpsckjeshb4.jpg

Posted

Did you at least play the box before trying to make it smaller?

No and I'm not gonna lie I have no idea if it was the right thing to do. I went by what my software told me. I intentionally did not glue any of the 2×4s in (just drywall screws) just in case I fucked up. My plan is to make sure all the 2×4s are all able to be removed through the speaker hole if tuning is too high (aiming for 33) before gluing on the front panel. I think I need to put the speaker in (as a template) and drill the holes for the threaded inserts. Then take the speaker out and slap on the front panel and silicone it. Then I will put the driver back in and check tuning. I have never built my own ported enclosure before and honestly don't know what to expect.

Edit: the 2×4s in the back that are already siliconed were put in over a year ago and glued in (big mistake) before major neck surgery that postponed this project for almost a year. If they were not there this snafu would have been much simpler. Because they are glued in my maximum port length is 15 inches.

Posted

Did you at least play the box before trying to make it smaller?

Ok so I put the Mayhem in and it seems like the tuning is 36.7 hz. That's with running a sine sweep through a 300 watt Behringer bass head (everything set flat.. no effects or boost) with the D2 driver wired in series at 4 ohms. Front panel screwed in but only sealed with tape. Down at 33 hz it's louder than I expected so that's good. Now to unfuck myself and remove some of those 2 × 4s. Man I feel like an idiot. Oh well. Lesson learned. Hopefully...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 8690 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...