AMD RX 480

RX 480 is targeting about 100-120w gaming load it looks like. Stock cooler sucks from what I can tell so it might run a bit warm but at least it wont be 300w+.

I'll be getting one to replace my backup 7950 (move it to secondary pc).

If you want lower temps use a card with a better cooler, most AIB's will be releasing cards with custom coolers so you dont have run the stock cooler at ~60-70c (im guessing thats near what stock will run on average, some probably a bit more depending on case setup).

The card I have is a Gigabyte Gaming card, with not stock cooling. Still hits 90c+ no problem.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

the thing is that there is still going to be more heat possibly than the green guys... like always... aftermarket coolers only bring that heat outside the case quicker... lol

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

To be honest though i need a better card than i currently have and if this can perform as well as people plan and expect it to, then i should be good for a few years until i need to upgrade from this, and a price point of $200 for the 4gb seems like a good value for the amount and type of gaming i do. I know for some people it is a deal buster being a 1080 card instead of 4k capable, it is what it is, and i'm sure amd will kick off a 4k mid market card before too long.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

It looks like a few sites posted the reviews now:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,22.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/6

It runs a lot like a R9 290/390.

Honestly, if you want to stick with AMD, i'd suggest going with a used R9 290X. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R9-290x-Asus-DirectCU-/182188768329?hash=item2a6b4bfc49:g:K34AAOSw-4BXbycT

Those are a great deal for what they cost.

If you are looking to switch over to Nvidia, i'd suggest looking into a used GTX 970 or wait out for a good sale. They will be in the $250 range.

I dont know if i misread someshit but I thought this a midrange performance card compared to gtx1080

im not upgrading cause of heat or noise or power consumption

just not important in my setting

i want the best eye candy i can buy

AMD's best card is the R9 Fury X and it's dropped down to $460. It competes with a GTX 1070 when it's card vs card. If you want to play in 4K though, a pair of AMD Fury X's vs a pair of GTX 1080's will actually be a very close fight. AMD's crossfire has always been about 3+ years ahead of Nvidia's SLI.

I dont know if i misread someshit but I thought this a midrange performance card compared to gtx1080

im not upgrading cause of heat or noise or power consumption

just not important in my setting

i want the best eye candy i can buy

Yup, its a midrange card. Sits right under 390X and not worth getting if you already have a ~290/290X/390 other than it uses less power.

Guys, high temps dont mean more heat if you're using less power. 150w @ 90c is less heat than 300w @ 70c.

edit - I still havent read a review yet lol, just got off work.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Well i got the rx 480 and installed, and so far i like it, but my games don't even begin to put a strain on it, so i guess it's time for some different games to play now.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Well, after all the craziness of reading multiple threads on the new card being out of spec, it will be interesting to see what they do, cause they could be liable for lawsuits from this debacle. I really do not know if they'll recall this card but i'm certain this new driver fix set for tuesday will not help them as much as they would like it to cause the card will need to pull power from somewhere to overclock.

Going to get very interesting in the next days and weeks.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

It can pull more power from the 6-pin connector. A new bios would fix it on yet to be shipped cards while a driver would work for current cards.

Stilt and Wizzard came up with a fix as well that reduces PCI-E draw by 10W, interesting to see if it could be combined with the AMD fix.

I'm still waiting for AIB cards anyways so I can get an 8-pin or 6+8 card.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived