Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer postitioning in my Jeep Grand Cherokee

I'm planning on building a sealed box for my SSA G-CON 15. Before I plan the box I need to figure out which way a want to face the woofer and where I want to put the box in my trunk. My Jeep is an SUV obviously and therefore doesn't have a separated trunk. From what I gather, my best option is to have the woofer toward the liftgate and very close to the liftgate. It would be most convenient for me to place it flush with the back seats so I have space. It would also be cool to put my driver side back seat down and have the woofer fire toward me, but in another thread I was told that wouldn't sound good unless I had the box sealed off from the space behind it. Also I want to avoid rattling (I plan on getting Dynamat at a later date). Any help will be appreciated, My emphasis is on SQ

52460740.jpg

Since its a sealed single woofer set up just build the box and move it around there until it sounds good to you. You can try up, down, sideways, etc... no port to worry about.

You want the sub to near the perimeter of the vehicle. The idea is to minimize and amount of space between where the sound originates and the edge of the cabin where it will reflect.

I had a WJ jeep like yours and had a single ported Sundown E-12 in it. Here is a crappy picture of how my setup was:

h10WLvO.jpg

This worked pretty well for me, but if I were to redo it I would have made the box longer to get the port and sub closer to the tail gate. I also probably would have had the sub on the side of the box firing towards the passenger side instead of firing up.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I think that would work, but with a 15" sub is the box is going to have to be pretty wide. I would probably face the sub sideways and put it as close to the back of the box near the tailgate as much as practical.

How functional you want your cargo area to be also should be a factor is your decision. I don't know if you care about being to put stuff in your vehicle or not.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I'm not sure why think having the sub sideways won't work well, care to expand on your reasoning?

Putting the sub sideways is going to save you the most trunk space since the box will only have to be a little wider than the sub is deep. If you face it up or back your box will have to be at least 16" wide. How many cubic feet of volume are you shooting for with this box?

Builds:

It seems like I would get weird cancellation and as a result lose SQ and SPL, I'm going for 3 cu feet

3? That is a lot. But it will work.

If you want to save space, try a smaller box.

Just build a box and turn it around to find the right spot. Then you can add anything you need.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Archived