Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

alternator whine, ground loop problem, need help


Recommended Posts

Posted

Try grounding hu to battery. Usually fixes the issue. Also ground amps to frame ground that could also be your issue

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Posted

What I tried today so far.

Isolated the headunit from the metal dash, ground wire to normal spot on mounting bracket, whine still present, starts around 2800 rpm

used a self tapping screw right into the floor, removed paint to bare metal moved radio ground wire to this screw, whine still present

unplugged sub amp, whine still present

re-connected sub amp, unplugged front amp, no whine

Got home, put radio back in perm, reinstalled all removed parts, ground still to screw in floor

Added a ground wire from mounting screw of front amp (Orion 275SX) to ground distribution block, test drive in a minute

Posted

the extra ground wire from the amp chassis to ground did nothing,

I removed the Orion amp ground from the dist. block and removed the trim below the rear window, cleaned the paint off in a spot down to metal and attached the Orion's ground wire directly to the metal, whine seems to have gone away !

Will know for sure tomorrow when I go back to work, long drive

Thanks all will update tomorrow after work.

Posted

run a four gauge ground from the battery all the way back. problem solved..

 

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Posted

run a four gauge ground from the battery all the way back. problem solved..

I have always done this. I have seen the debate about running a ground wire and using frame as ground. When ever I see people with alt wine issues, it's damn near always, they use frame grounds. I have always ran a ground with my power to the back and never had this problem. Only time I did was when an RCA wire was shot and was bringing in noise to the signal.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

  • Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5
Posted

Watched a video last night where they measured voltage loss ( think that's what it was anyway), using a Newer Nissan Altima with a couple amps in it, they measured at the negative battery terminal using the body as the ground, than using 1-0 cable to the battery and it did better using the car as the ground.

The last time I had any alternator whine was way way back in my 80 Datsun 310GX, alpine shaft type cassette deck with a FAS EQ/booster and 2 door speakers, it was so bad the shop put some kind of filter on it and it was OK after that.

I have had 3 Nissan trucks, all headunits grounded in the same place, my former 87 4x4 had the same PPI 2200 amp I am using now, and a 4 ch. Alpine (3554), various EQ's over the years, JVC dual bands (front and rear), Alpine 11 band, Alpine 3342, Sony Headunit XR-U770, no noise ever.

Than a 94 Pathfinder, Alpine headunit from 94, Cerwin Vega 4 ch amp, Alpine ERG180 EQ, no noise problems

my current 93 hardbody

90 Nissan sentra, Sony Headunit, Alpine 3342 EQ ( different one), PPI 2200 amp, Alpine 3454, than a 3455, than a POS crunch amp, than the ORion 275SX, no noise problems, grounded to the rear fender using a self tapping screw.

No idea why all of a sudden I was getting alternator whine in my 93.

Posted

http://www.bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html​

Just wired some fuses to a Pioneer DEH P7700mp head unit the other day and sounds like new. Did this to my DEH P6800MP a months back and I just used wire and grounded a speaker wire and it came back just as bad. I done the fuse to a few other head units and they have all worked fine. The only one I had a problem was the 6800 that I only used wire in a rush and now it makes noise. Check to see if it has a pico fuse . This will work.

Posted

http://www.bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html​

Just wired some fuses to a Pioneer DEH P7700mp head unit the other day and sounds like new. Did this to my DEH P6800MP a months back and I just used wire and grounded a speaker wire and it came back just as bad. I done the fuse to a few other head units and they have all worked fine. The only one I had a problem was the 6800 that I only used wire in a rush and now it makes noise. Check to see if it has a pico fuse . This will work.

Posted

http://www.bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html​

Just wired some fuses to a Pioneer DEH P7700mp head unit the other day and sounds like new. Did this to my DEH P6800MP a months back and I just used wire and grounded a speaker wire and it came back just as bad. I done the fuse to a few other head units and they have all worked fine. The only one I had a problem was the 6800 that I only used wire in a rush and now it makes noise. Check to see if it has a pico fuse . This will work.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1034 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...