Jump to content

opinions on "speaker pods"


ayoparky

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok, so I have run into a situation with the speakers in my front doors. I have a 2003 subaru forester if that matters. So like most, I replaced my factory speakers with much better ones, and i used the same hole that the factory speakers were in to mount the new ones. So, in in my front doors in the factory cut holes i have 2 6.5 inch cdt audio 62.2 midwoofers...one in each door, and i have surface mounted tweeters and crossover one on each door. Now, i also have speakers in my back doors, one on each side, that because of their location are more or less completely muffled by my back seats, and because of this not only do they contribute nothing to my system, but they are actually kinda detrimental cause they mess up my sound staging. So, my plan is to move the speakers i have in the back to the front doors. Obviously my issue is that i only have 1 precut hole in each of my front doors,a nd those holes are already filled by my cdt 6.5s. I realize that cutting a new hole in each of my front doors is an option, and if people are of the opinion that thats ultimately the best thing to do to ensure good sound quality, then i will certainly consider that. My only issue there is that while I can most definitely make things functional, im not really the best that making them functional but also visually appealing at the same time. So, because of that fact, i started looking at speaker pods, cause they allow you to surface mount speakers, and they also give a clean custom look. But i also noted that speaker pods are sealed in the back....this worries the hell out of me. When i was a younger more inexperienced diy installer, i made the mistake of trying to put midwoofers in a small sealed enclosure to fit my current car layout...big time no no..it almost completely muffled the speakers. Im worried this will happen with the pods. Does anyone have any help in this regard or info or anything at all.

Posted

If you're refering to foam baffles this is my experience.

I cut two 1x2 holes in the back of the boom mat foam baffles i used with the 6x8's in my truck then to regain a little bit of protection from the elements/dust i stuffed them with polyfill.

Agree'd they sound like shite sealed up, but the mod i did has served me well for 3+ years and the speakers looked squeaky clean when i ran my own wire to them when i got off deck power and moved to a better 4ch. amp.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Posted

Unless your going to a 3 way or 4 way setup adding more to the front can be more problematic for front staging by adding a second set of comps into the mix, I would just remove the rear speakers and leave the front alone.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1090 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...