Crossovers to close?

r.sok

I don't understand this. In my head, unless you need the gain turned all the way up to get decent volume, you don't need a pre-amp.

It only happens with high end speakers and only with zero attenuation on the tweeter. To me it just seems like electrical noise.

OP- do you prefer to run the tweeters at 0? I'd just set them at -2 and let 'er buck. Nice speakers by the way. Boston Pros are my favorite speakers.

I have a possible answer, your amp doesnt like 3rd order filters, cheap crossovers are usually 1st order or second order filters filled with electrolytic capacitors. better components use 3rd order filters as well as poly caps. MY guess the amp doesnt like shunts between the positive and negative speaker wires in a 3rd order filter while also using the poly caps.

2nd theory would be your gain on your amp is slightly bad, like the contacts have corosion. does it do it with all amps? if so this theory wouldnt be it either would the crossover design. If you never seen a schematic of a passive filter look online, type in 3rd order passive crossover schematic in google images to see the complexities of the shunts.

vs a 1st or 2nd order..

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

I don't understand this. In my head, unless you need the gain turned all the way up to get decent volume, you don't need a pre-amp.

It only happens with high end speakers and only with zero attenuation on the tweeter. To me it just seems like electrical noise.

OP- do you prefer to run the tweeters at 0? I'd just set them at -2 and let 'er buck. Nice speakers by the way. Boston Pros are my favorite speakers.

For the time being I just ended up putting the tweeters at -2. I do eventually want them set back at "0" once I can get rid of the issue. My tweeters are mounted low in the door.

My amp is at 3/4 gain. Almost full tilt & it is just about loud enough to my preference but I always prefered to have my gains low.

Amp puts out 125 rms at 2ohm, 90 at 4 ohms... Speakers are are 3 ohm so I don't believe it's a power issue

2db difference is fuck all. If someone switched it without you knowing I doubt you'd even notice.

Is it kinda a swishing noise? It could be noise from the amp.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

• 2 months later...

I love mine. I ended up with the gains all the way down and adjusted the system level with the pre amp output.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived