Wasteland_Audio Posted September 14, 2016 Report Posted September 14, 2016 So a buddy of mine wants me to build him a system in his 98 explorer. He knows absolutely nothing about car audio, but after hearing my wall wants to take his first leap into this bottomless pit we all call a hobby. He doesn't much care about mids/highs, he just wants as much boom boom as possible. So here's the kicker, he wants all this for under $600. I have put together a list of major equipment (the rest of the wires/install stuff I have). I was hoping I could get some input or suggestion if anyone knows of any better equipment for cheaper. Thankfully Sonic is having a really good sale on some RE 15s so those are locked in. Here's what I have so far: I'll be building him an enclosure with some spare MDF i have laying around. Here are the specs:
CstrokerV Posted September 14, 2016 Report Posted September 14, 2016 Why not a sa18 and a sae600 or 1200 my build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/142505-small-build-log-4-dc-lvl3-10s-tl-update-link-to-rebuild/ http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/154258-rebuild-6-lvl3-12s-update-small-video-nothing-spectacular/ new build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188181-03-trailblazer-slow-build-8-dc-lvl3-12-m1-motor-m2-parts/
RainStryke Posted September 14, 2016 Report Posted September 14, 2016 It's probably worth the extra $10 per sub to get the D4 coils. I always hated being limited to a 2OHM amp cause my electrical was never ready for a .5OHM set-up... which your buddy is not going to have anytime soon if his budget is $600. If he could save up for about 2 more months he could have a little more money towards the build and black Friday/cyber Monday is the time to get all that stuff with most companies offering 20% off on their products.
Wasteland_Audio Posted September 14, 2016 Author Report Posted September 14, 2016 Why not a sa18 and a sae600 or 1200 I can get 2 of the RE subs for about the same as 1 SA, and the REs have higher xmax, cone area, and power handling. Plus an SAE amp would put me over budget.
Wasteland_Audio Posted September 14, 2016 Author Report Posted September 14, 2016 It's probably worth the extra $10 per sub to get the D4 coils. I always hated being limited to a 2OHM amp cause my electrical was never ready for a .5OHM set-up... which your buddy is not going to have anytime soon if his budget is $600. If he could save up for about 2 more months he could have a little more money towards the build and black Friday/cyber Monday is the time to get all that stuff with most companies offering 20% off on their products. I agree he should probably wait til black friday, but he wanted me to put a list together for him sooner than that. With sonic doing their subtember sale i figured i could pick the bones there. As far as the dual 4 sub goes I could probably switch to them. I picked that amp because it's rated at 2500rms at 2 ohms, which because its a shitty brand probably only does 1500 real world power, which is perfect for those REs.
RainStryke Posted September 14, 2016 Report Posted September 14, 2016 It's probably worth the extra $10 per sub to get the D4 coils. I always hated being limited to a 2OHM amp cause my electrical was never ready for a .5OHM set-up... which your buddy is not going to have anytime soon if his budget is $600. If he could save up for about 2 more months he could have a little more money towards the build and black Friday/cyber Monday is the time to get all that stuff with most companies offering 20% off on their products. I agree he should probably wait til black friday, but he wanted me to put a list together for him sooner than that. With sonic doing their subtember sale i figured i could pick the bones there. As far as the dual 4 sub goes I could probably switch to them. I picked that amp because it's rated at 2500rms at 2 ohms, which because its a shitty brand probably only does 1500 real world power, which is perfect for those REs. I'm not too sure about that... I highly doubt that amplifier will get you 1500w @ 2OHM. More like 500w @ 2OHM. A lot of those off brand amps that have zero certifications will do maybe 20% of what they claim, sometimes less. Also, if you are looking to save a bit more, i'd suggest some SoundQubed HDS215's instead... A pair of those in D4's and a solid 1000-1200w amplifier like the FSD 1200.1. https://www.droppinhzcaraudio.com/fsd-audio-12001-amplifier
ckeeler11 Posted September 14, 2016 Report Posted September 14, 2016 Unless he does not have any mids/tweets i would not waste money on those Boss coaxials. I would recommend the following: subs: http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/sound-qubed-hds215-15-inch-subwoofer.html amp: https://www.droppinhzcaraudio.com/fsd-audio-12001-amplifier HU: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_116897_Pioneer-FH-X731BT.html
CstrokerV Posted September 14, 2016 Report Posted September 14, 2016 Why not a sa18 and a sae600 or 1200 I can get 2 of the RE subs for about the same as 1 SA, and the REs have higher xmax, cone area, and power handling. Plus an SAE amp would put me over budget. yeah true just have heard the sa's and they sound nice and the re's not sure on their quality anymore... and i would try to at least get a better quality amp then the planet audio .... i see the sa18 are out at 199 a piece now that is a shame i should of bought a couple for my home theater my build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/142505-small-build-log-4-dc-lvl3-10s-tl-update-link-to-rebuild/ http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/154258-rebuild-6-lvl3-12s-update-small-video-nothing-spectacular/ new build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188181-03-trailblazer-slow-build-8-dc-lvl3-12-m1-motor-m2-parts/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.