Need some help

I didn't say to never get one. I don't think you'll need one, but should definitely start with batteries and see how it goes first. Where I live alts aren't a big thing since once you pay what we have to for the gear, you don't have any money left for an alt lol. Most get by just fine on batteries.

Your 6k amp will be a fraction of that once you take into account box rise and the average power level of music. I also suspect you won't drive around with it constantly at full volume.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

If he's drawing more current than his alt can provide, wont it drain his battery alot quicker? OP could possibly endup killing whatever new batteries he would buy. That would suck. Atleast with an over powered alt his battery will stay full, and any additional batteries (if needed) will also stay full. Im still learning how it all works, but that seems to be the idea usually.

thought so i will just get the alternator booked in then its one less thing to worry about still not sure on batteries as i said above looking at either odyssey batteries or XS power but don't know how many and what ones i need?

Another brand to throw out there is the yellow top optima batteries. I See those in alot of installs. I havent even looked into batteries yet tho for myself. I just remember seeing those in cars with good systems.

If he's drawing more current than his alt can provide, wont it drain his battery alot quicker? OP could possibly endup killing whatever new batteries he would buy. That would suck. Atleast with an over powered alt his battery will stay full, and any additional batteries (if needed) will also stay full. Im still learning how it all works, but that seems to be the idea usually.

My recommendation relies on the fact that in real world use you aren't working your amplifier anywhere near sustained full power. Sustained full power from a 6k at 13.8V is around about 500A once you take into account the efficiency.

It's not going to be drawing full power continuously cause you have box rise making the impedance higher than the nominal 1ohm, you are playing music which is dynamic, and chances are you aren't driving around with it turned right up.

Even if you wired down to lower than recommended load (don't do this) so that you were at 1ohm after box rise, and played full scale sine waves, you'll cook your subs or amp doing so for a sustained period. And before something blows up, you're already pulling twice the current the alt can supply.

But it's your money.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Well it's going to be my daily car so i probably wouldn't be driving around full tilt all the time but it will be used a lot if that makes sense the alternator to be fitted is going to be around £600 pounds with a custom bracket and a external regulator so its not to much money.

So that being said how many batts do i need?

I have seen alot of people that run the xs batteries. Personally I would run whatever group 31 AGM that you could get locally. The optima batteries seem to be expensive when you look at capacity per dollar. I would run a single battery in the back with the ho alternator for now and watch the voltage. Then maybe add a second if needed.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I would not buy one and have it shipped. I would find something local so when there is a problem, I know where to take it. Otherwise you would have to pay to ship a bad battery back for warranty. Maybe someone who has one of those will chime in.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Sorry i am from the UK that's why its hard to source good batteries only one place in the UK has XS power so what they have on the site is what they stock and i heard good things about the odyssey but don't know what to get sorry if i didn't make it to clear.

Archived