Sundown Audio

Marine Grade Amplifiers

boom50cal

Curious as to the differences with marine grade amps? Going to be doing a stereo on my RZR soon, it's going over head beneath the roof. Was planning on a plexi cover for it anyway, with cooling holes and whatnot. So not a big chance of direct water exposure, but may get splashed indirectly.

Eyeballing the Rockford M400-4D Marine 4 channel. 100x4 @ 4 ohms $285. Friend ran one on his XP900 without any issues, mounted it behind the seats. It had plenty of contact with water and what not.

Also eyeballing the Fosgate PBR300x4. For $160. it's 75x4 @ 4 ohms. Plenty of power. Smaller foot print. Hear of it being used all the time on Harley Davidsons, other big bikes... I know Steve used the Power T series compact amps on his 900. But his climate is really different than mine. Most of my riding is going to be on trails, with some mud...not like deep mudhole stuff. But I'll be passing through water every once and awhile.

Any how, looking for some insight on what everyone thinks would be better for my situation. Power isn't much of a concern, 75-100w a channel is what I need. thanks.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Corrosion resistance is the biggest difference i do believe.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

so really, if it's out of the way of direct water contact, I'll be okay? I'm lost when it comes to all the marine stuff. Not like I'm going to sink it in a pond, or hold a pressure washer directly to it.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I think you'd be ok, you get a little splash resistance too with the marine gear i think .

I have no personal experience with marine gear though, just recalling what i've read about the stuff.

added - You'd also want to see some type of Ingress Protection (IP) rating to know it's legit (i know this from being a bit of a flashlght geek)

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

Looks like the JL gear is rated IPX6

6 - Powerful water jets Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. Test duration: 1 minute per square meter for at least 3 minutes Water volume: 100 litres per minute Pressure: 100 kPa at distance of 3 m

not sure what the x means though.

I don't think they are water proof, just resistance to moisture.

From what I remember. May be better now.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived