[Final Update 6/6] 99 S-10 Blazer Build - Lots of setups

Been mostly puttering around with different electrical issues lately.

Had a loose positive on my front battery that was causing my voltage to drop down to 12s and then bounce up into 15s (as per readings from my pretty inaccurate voltmeter).

Went to fix that, and while removing and reseating the positive and ground on the battery, it sent my security system in the vehicle (previous owner installed it) into some sort of super protective mode where the vehicle wouldn't start from the key in the ignition, only from pressing the keyless entry button. Spent a couple hours trouble shooting that and finally got it all good again.

I decided -15dB overlap was too scary for me (I kept finding myself using 58/62 volume instead of going full tilt because I didn't wanna destroy anything). So I retuned with -10dB tracks, and it removed all of my noise floor and also allows me to go full tilt with no worries.

Probably going to pick up an SSA APM-2 here shortly so I can get this thing metered.

In the meantime, I've been playing around with my mids and highs.

Everyone says these SQ Pro Super Tweets are supposed to scream and just be painful, but I've got them on the Q4-90 and they really didn't impress me. I've never owned tweeters before, so I didn't really know what to expect. 

One nice thing with the 80PRS is that I can isolate RCA channels and do independent testing, so here's a video of just the tweeters (no mids or subwoofers):

Then here's a video where the 6.5" mids are on full time, and I switch the tweeters between on and off:

In that video ^ it seems like pretty flawless implementation and it makes a HUGE difference in sound quality. Once I did this test I understood the role of tweeters better and changed my mind totally about them lol. They add so much depth, for lack of a better term.

Then I finally got a daytime distance video:

So far I have two HDS212's towards the rebuild of 6, and I might pick up 2 more tomorrow.

Thinking I want to do aeroports next so I can have easily adjustable ports between low and high tuning.

26 minutes ago, moh.vze.com said:

Nice install. I wish I had a large vehicle so I have more headroom for upgrades.

Thanks?

I'm actually thinking I want something smaller like an Impala for my next vehicle. Bass just seems to hit so much harder in trunks than in SUVS, or at least in my mind.

When I bought the two HDS 12's from the guy, he had them hooked up in a trunk of a Grand Prix on a Brutus 2.4k and it seemed way louder than my two 18s. Not sure if I'm just crazy or what the deal is.

1 minute ago, RedFred said:

Thanks1f600.png

I'm actually thinking I want something smaller like an Impala for my next vehicle. Bass just seems to hit so much harder in trunks than in SUVS, or at least in my mind.

When I bought the two HDS 12's from the guy, he had them hooked up in a trunk of a Grand Prix on a Brutus 2.4k and it seemed way louder than my two 18s. Not sure if I'm just crazy or what the deal is.

But with an SUV like that, you have room to run 3 alternators if you wanted. You can also add a crap load of batteries in your vehicle without worrying about your car dragging and looking like a low rider. I actually would have added 2 more XP3000's is my Camry trunk if I had more space and if the car didn't dip down so low.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

3 minutes ago, moh.vze.com said:

But with an SUV like that, you have room to run 3 alternators if you wanted. You can also add a crap load of batteries in your vehicle without worrying about your car dragging and looking like a low rider. I actually would have added 2 more XP3000's is my Camry trunk if I had more space and if the car didn't dip down so low.

True. However, I don't foresee running extra alternators or more than 1 extra battery anytime soon.

I've kind of reached the peak for this vehicle while maintaining rear seats, and being able to call it a budget build.

2 minutes ago, RedFred said:

True. However, I don't foresee running extra alternators or more than 1 extra battery anytime soon.

I've kind of reached the peak for this vehicle while maintaining rear seats, and being able to call it a budget build.

Good that you have discipline. I tend to upgrade or change my setup every 2-3 years when I save enough money. This is such an expensive hobby :(. I'm pretty content with my Hybrid Audio Clarus lineup right now so that's staying for probably another 5 years.

I bought my XS Power D2400 and XP3000 back in 2012 and it's currently 5 years old. I might have to replace them next time they have a group buy on here.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

15 minutes ago, moh.vze.com said:

Good that you have discipline. I tend to upgrade or change my setup every 2-3 years when I save enough money. This is such an expensive hobby :(. I'm pretty content with my Hybrid Audio Clarus lineup right now so that's staying for probably another 5 years.

I bought my XS Power D2400 and XP3000 back in 2012 and it's currently 5 years old. I might have to replace them next time they have a group buy on here.

Haha it's less of discipline, and more of necessity and lack of funds.

If I had $10k to drop on a build, and I didn't need to always be transporting people or stuff, I'd be running a very windy 4th or 6th order B-Pillar sealed off wall with four 18s ?

That being said, this vehicle has been through 10+ setups in the 2 years I've owned it. Since this thread started I've gone from 4 15s in a ported to 4 15s in a b-pillar 4th to 2 18s in a ported, and hopefully will have 6 12s in a ported soon. So the itch to upgrade is always present for sure.

Second video you posted on last page (the one in the middle) is not working.....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

12 hours ago, Karkov said:

Second video you posted on last page (the one in the middle) is not working.....

All of them are working for me, and are still uploaded on YouTube, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Anyone else not able to view some of the videos?

Also ordered my SSA APM-2 last night. Super excited to see what this setup meters

Archived