Second Skin Audio

Sundown X 6.5 V2 subwoofer box

titus41

Thank you so much (Joe X) !

Some days ago i designed a box for this sub. But it is at 1 ft^3.

The port is 2" wide and the port length is almost the right size. Missed by 2 inches at the end.

The thickness of the MDF is also 3/4" - 19mm

Sundownaudio.com says that they do not recommend a large box for this sub (not designed for) How much will this be affected if the tuning of the port is right? At 1 ft^3? Just wondering.

Her is my sketchup. I use the metric system.

image_zpsg7wcedyr.jpeg

A 1 cu ft box is WAY too big. That's three times bigger than it should be. It won't sound good and you will be very likely to destroy the sub.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yes, OP you could do some 0.4 net bu not 1 cube for a ported design at least if you plan to run rated, you can also do a tline as you planned, for a basic non tapered design it looks like you would need to do it about 100 inches total line length and 17 square inches of line area to tune to around 32Hz, also you would need to keep power to about 200W specially if you play below tuning. Try not to go on random specs as you would run into issues pretty quick.

Thank you so much (Joe X) !

Some days ago i designed a box for this sub. But it is at 1 ft^3.

The port is 2" wide and the port length is almost the right size. Missed by 2 inches at the end.

The thickness of the MDF is also 3/4" - 19mm

Sundownaudio.com says that they do not recommend a large box for this sub (not designed for) How much will this be affected if the tuning of the port is right? At 1 ft^3? Just wondering.

Her is my sketchup. I use the metric system.

image_zpsg7wcedyr.jpeg

this box is close to .66 after displacements. remember to subtract the port from the volume.

Just curious OP, but you do know that a t-line is all port, and a large one when compared to a reflex enclosure? The internal volume and port sizes that the manufacturer recommend mean nothing when designing a t-line, only the TS parameters and the powerror you plan on feeding it

I actually use centimeter when i cut sheets for the MDF or any type of material. The problem with SketchUp is that i can only use millimeters to design the box. So from Inches to millimeter to centimeter. Example i cannot do 19.05mm it has to be 19cm or 19.1 cm. So i use 190mm or 191mm. Thats why i ended with 25mm at the question above. Because of the various numbers.

3vil:

I do now. Thanks to this very good forum and fast replies. I should have questioned to this forum for along time ago to get my questions right. It seems like you guys have the education and experience about building speakers the right way. Not just smash a box together and hope for a good sound.

What kind of program do you guys use to find this right calculations?

How would the design for a bassreflex port be with Sundown X6.5?

That first box design Joe X put up for you is a bass reflex, aka ported box. I'm willing to bet if you built it to his specifications you would be very happy with the results.

Hornsrep can help you model of parameters if a t-line. If you want to learn a little about transmission lines/quarter wave guides, this a good place to begin.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/1828-quarter-wave-t-line-tutorial-updated/page-1

Archived