Second Skin Audio

Port area and enclosure size for sp4 15

noobslayer77

Hmm. Then maybe ill go around 70 sqinch. I do like a flat response. I ordered dual 2 ohm. Was gonna wire to 1 ohm. Then strap the second 3500 n second sp4. Should i switch to dual 1 ohm n wire each to .5 n not strap them?

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

Just for reference

2 sp4 15 -- older style : sandwiched leads with spaced spider

box 8.3ish cubes

126sqin of port

tuned to 30-31ish

sundown scv6k @ .5 sees 5300 rise and voltage drop

I agree with Kyle . 4-4.5 cu with 55-70sqin per sub tuned 28-32hz

Also, there are tons of threads on this exact same sub. you should do a search.

Hmm. Then maybe ill go around 70 sqinch. I do like a flat response.

If you want flatter response, decrease the net volume, not the port area. Decreasing port area to flatten response is like undersizing the exhaust on your car to keep from breaking the tires loose in first gear. It may work but it comes at a terrible cost.

My recommendation of 75-90 sq in of port area certainly is large. There really is no disadvantage of more port area other than the space it takes up. In terms of port area per cube it's up to 20 sq in/cu ft. However I think the usual guideline of 16 sq in/cu ft really wasn't intended for folks putting nearly 1,000 watts per cu ft of input power into their systems.

I think a lot of people would be very surprised to find out how much output they are losing to port compression. It's really easy to test for if you have access to a Termlab too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Werd. I wish I'd opened the vent in the blazer build. Never did. But we opened up the burbans loading wall,To where all the "pros" said and lost over a db. Just the way it is I guess. SO many variables i suppose.

No doubt on there being a lot of variables.

I don't know what the specifics are on your suburbans loading wall, but I do know in general with that type of setup it can be VERY challenging to change port area without changing tuning frequency and/or chamber volume, which can also effect the results

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

All good info. I think i may shoot for 4 cubes then. Jua bought it today and have alot of time before the sub geta here and before i start building. Ill post up my final design when i have it so i can get some feedback.

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

• 1 month later...

I'd shoot for 6 cubes gross before port, sub and bracing displacement!

If you start off with 3/4" material and 6 cubes internal cubic ft and make your port 60sq in x 30" long you'll end up with roughly 4.5 cubes - sub displacement= 4.25 cubes and it'll bang! I've done this enclosure numerous times and it'll do 149 in a trunk with ease on 4k watts

I'm always opened minded and if there's anything you want to know, just ask!

I opened my first Car Audio Shop in 1993 and 22 years later, i'm still at it!

Archived