Second Skin Audio

Port area and enclosure size for sp4 15

noobslayer77

The tuning frequency is going affect how much port area you need as well. I'm going to assume you will tune somewhere around 32 Hz. A single 6" aeroport is less than 30 sq in of port area. That's not much at all for the size of box you are thinking about and the amount of power you are going to be running. Port compression sucks. Even two 6" ports will be quite a bit on the low side in my opinion. For comparison purposes, Sundown recommend 68 sq in for a Zv5-15", and that's assuming RMS power of 2,000 watts.

In your situation I'd like to see AT LEAST 75 sq in of port area, 90 sq in would be better, especially if it's a slot port. A 10" aeroport would be good too. In either case the port is going to need to be fairly long to get tuning where you want, which can make things difficult, but that's the reality of the situation.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The tuning frequency is going affect how much port area you need as well. I'm going to assume you will tune somewhere around 32 Hz. A single 6" aeroport is less than 30 sq in of port area. That's not much at all for the size of box you are thinking about and the amount of power you are going to be running. Port compression sucks. Even two 6" ports will be quite a bit on the low side in my opinion. For comparison purposes, Sundown recommend 68 sq in for a Zv5-15", and that's assuming RMS power of 2,000 watts.

In your situation I'd like to see AT LEAST 75 sq in of port area, 90 sq in would be better, especially if it's a slot port. A 10" aeroport would be good too. In either case the port is going to need to be fairly long to get tuning where you want, which can make things difficult, but that's the reality of the situation.

My thoughts exactly, though I suspect an 8" flared round port would not sacrifice too much.

10" at 32 hz is 40" of port haha. Fuck. I have 36 by 20 by 24 to play with.

Yeah, large ports never make things easy. They are usually worth the effort though. You have plenty of room for a well sized slot port.

FwTHtIm.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

sick man. Thanks! I literally just ordered the sub. Hopin for 145 around 30 hz.

Great sub, good choice. I love mine

will be adding another sk 3500 and another sp4 once i get the money for more batts. shooting for 600 ah of battery and i have a bank of mawells. tryina get into the 50s. was close with the w7s but amp wouldnt take a .33 load.

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

I ran a bit large volume wise on mine. But also ran low on my port area. Loved how it played.

I would run 4-4.5 cubes, around 55-60" of port. Tuned around 32, not much need to go lower, they will play down, trust me, then, let em eat. You can do more vent if you want.

Edit - I wouldn't do 90" nope , most I'd do is around 75. But that's me. And I like the 3500 board, if your wired at .5. Or .7 nominal.

Archived