Sonic Electronix

Interior Lighting/Pulsing Lights

Hello.

I have been wanting to string some lights up in my car for a while now and have a few ideas of what I want to do, but I need some help.

My first idea is to have pulsing lights. As in I want to make the lights pulse with the bass or mid ranges. The way that I think may work would be to string up the lights to the back of my stereo. With the low wattage (50w max I believe) I don't think I'd have to worry about possible shorts or fires. But, I don't know if that would be enough to power 1 or more strings of lights ranging from 10-30 feet in length. If, for some chance that this could work, I would also like to attach a switch to the lights for when I want them constantly on. Would I need multiple switches, or would I just need to string another set of lights?

My second idea would be to have certain colors for certain hz frequencies. An example would be to have a blue for around 40 hz, a green for around 30-35 hz and a red from 50-60. The way I thought of possibly doing this would be a crossover (in relation to possibly wiring to the back of the stereo). Have a lowpass and high pass crossover hooked to individual lights and when the hz hits the lights will light up, and when the hz get lower or higher the light(s) will dim out or get brighter (closer or farther to set hz point).

I have no idea if this would work at all. I don't want to just hook up to an low wattage amp that has LP and HP filters because I have almost no room in my car (which I could do if cheap enough). And one more thing if you could please. Can Christmas rope or tape lights work for any kind of vehicle lighting? I can get a bunch of led lights cheap right now at a local Walmart, that's why I'm asking.

2001 Tahoe

No system. Not even aftermarket headunit.

You can find LED rolls with a driver/ controller that already has most of the features on FleaBay or Scamazon. They normally come on rolls of like 10-30ft, you just cut off what you need, and they have adhesive on the backside (although it's often total crap) to stick it on things. The whole thing where certain colors come in and dim based on which frequencies are playing is a new one, never seen that. That's not to say it cannot be done, I just haven't seen it.

You can find LED rolls with a driver/ controller that already has most of the features on FleaBay or Scamazon. They normally come on rolls of like 10-30ft, you just cut off what you need, and they have adhesive on the backside (although it's often total crap) to stick it on things. The whole thing where certain colors come in and dim based on which frequencies are playing is a new one, never seen that. That's not to say it cannot be done, I just haven't seen it.

I haven't take a look at that driver yet (and I will), but do you happen to know if it uses RCA wires, or direct wires to the back of a stereo?

It doesn't matter really because I think I know how to possibly get the frequency thing down.

ANYONE READING THIS, PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

I haven't heard of anyone doing this particular thing before, and don't know if it's been done before, so if in the off chance that I am the first one to come up with this idea DO NOT DO IT AND TAKE THE CREDIT! I'm not saying give me credit because I dont know if I'm the first, but at least say you read it somewhere or heard about it.

Anyways, when I look at this driver I'm almost certain that it will have to be wired either through RCA or to the back of the stereo. If that is the case, I should be able to just hook up an abjustable crossover in line between driver and head unit. If not then I'll by a cheap 50-100w amp and use the crossovers on that (I'm hoping the first option is cheap). The pre amp outputs are 2.5 volts a piece on my stereo I believe, and 50w (throufh direct wiring) at even 8 ohms won't be any more than about 5-6 volts.

2001 Tahoe

I haven't take a look at that driver yet (and I will), but do you happen to know if it uses RCA wires, or direct wires to the back of a stereo?

It doesn't matter really because I think I know how to possibly get the frequency thing down.

ANYONE READING THIS, PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

I haven't heard of anyone doing this particular thing before, and don't know if it's been done before, so if in the off chance that I am the first one to come up with this idea DO NOT DO IT AND TAKE THE CREDIT! I'm not saying give me credit because I dont know if I'm the first, but at least say you read it somewhere or heard about it.

Anyways, when I look at this driver I'm almost certain that it will have to be wired either through RCA or to the back of the stereo. If that is the case, I should be able to just hook up an abjustable crossover in line between driver and head unit. If not then I'll by a cheap 50-100w amp and use the crossovers on that (I'm hoping the first option is cheap). The pre amp outputs are 2.5 volts a piece on my stereo I believe, and 50w (throufh direct wiring) at even 8 ohms won't be any more than about 5-6 volts.

Man, you're coming here for advice, saying you have no fucking clue what you're doing at all, and being a dick?

First off, what you 'had' in mind for your idea is stupid.

Second off, this can all be achieved with an RPI or a Microcontroller, if you're smart enough to program one of those.

Or would you need somebody to 'do it for you'

and then take the credit for what they did?

Man, I have an idea to make the world a completely perfect place

Wonder who can do it for me...

To: s5300

1) I didn't know it was possible. I have no experience in lighting so my "ideas" just might be me running my mouth.

2) Your a dick. Because I put a disclaimer saying "If this hasn't been done before don't act like you designed it" that doesn't make me a dick, it makes me wary of the fact that someone could profit off of this idea and pretend its there's. And like I said many times in the post and disclaimer, I have no idea if it has been done. You must have really misunderstood me on that.

3) The device that the nice gentleman before you talked about just isn't what I'm looking for or looking to do. The closest thing I found was a device that had an air pressure sensor. Not a single one of these devices were stereo accessible. Now, like I said before, this is the first time I've done any interior lighting and didn't know or couldn't find devices that do this. That RPI and Microcontroller you talked about... That's the first time I've heard of them, so quit acting like I'm acting like I know it all, because I don't. It was just an idea that I thought could work, that you nor the gentleman before you could actually answer.

I will look up those two devices you talked about and if its what I'm looking for, thank you. If not, well sorry.

So, good day to you, sir.

2001 Tahoe

It's been done it's call s a graphic equalizer lol... anyways the first one has been done a lot of times.. the second one has been done a few times you are essentially omaking the graphics part of a graphic equalizer with only one level instead of many . there is a few videos of someone doing it for a lamp a table your ideas isn't anything new.. you need the stuff the other guy was talking about

Archived