BassManiak

ZV5 18/15 or NSV3 18/15 for new build?

Hello there guys, the tittle is pretty much my question..

i'm upgrading next month and i am stuck between the two subs.

since i am across the pond in the UK, we really have only 1 legit distributor of sundown audio(Wayne from Hz Audio UK), the rest are a joke, with old stock, and overpriced..
I first saw the ZV5 for 850 English pesos,and was absolutely in love, but then i saw the NSV3 for 10 English pesos cheaper across the range, and that's when i got lost, isn't the NSV3 better? if so then, why is it cheaper?and there seems to be no thread on ZV5 vs NSV3 whatsoever.

i'm probably going to have either a 15 or 18, not sure yet! the box will be slot ported ~6-7.5cu.ft tuned between ~25-30hz

The NSV3 should theoretically be better? its weirdly got a wider but shorter magnet,yet stands taller than the ZV5, and i heard they both share the same VC and cone assembly.

i'm planning to put 5-8k regardless of which sub, my priority is lows and SQ

What are your thoughts ? really appreciate any help :)

Edited by BassManiak

Is that for one sub or two?

If one and that much power, to be safe I would do the Nsv3

yes just one sub, thanks for the input!

they do use the same voice coil and spider so its the same power handling theoretically

i am thinking its probably better to get the night shade but still not sure..either way i know the nsv3 can both take 5k on a daily, as joavanni showed with his scv5500 and 2x xs7500 so its not that much

also found this prototype 15 sub thats for half the price,maybe a pair of them would be better, fs 31hz, xmax 25mm each way, 4" flat would 8 layer VC,rated at 3.5k and a big ass booty, not much else in terms of specs as of yet, pic below

yqzzME9.jpg

Edited by BassManiak

Not bashing sundown what so ever but can you get other brands in your area?

The two subs are really really similar except for the motors basically. Choosing one or the other would result in too similar of an output for me to choose.

Sundown has been posting teaser pics of the NSv4, thats what I'm waiting on honestly.

I'm almost positive they are the same sub nsv3 weighs 9 pounds more tho according to Amazon. I plan to upgrade my zv4s to zv5s due to price

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jonathan Mills
      Hello all I tried to find this question already asked which I am sure it has been but don't spend a lot of time on the forum and for some reason find it really complicated to search for stuff.
      My equipment Dc Audio level 6 18 m4, Sundown Audio Scv7500.
      Question #1 What is a good setting for my low pass crossover?
      Question #2 My old amp is a Scv3000 it suffered water damage several mosfets were destroyed in the event. Would sundown be the best place to send it for repair?
      I stepped up quite a notch from the 3000 to the 7500 but its bad ass! Love the woofer I have had them all seems like and before reconing this one it was the M2 series which lasted longer than anything I have ever had. I reconned it maybe 2 months ago I probably would have never blown it but my 3000 watt amp was clipping like fu. I purchased a cheap pos oscilliscope for $60 off amazon after the recone and found out my amp was clipping by the time I turned it up to 10 on my deck. This is the reason I purchased the 7500 so my now M4 woofer could enjoy clean power.

Thanks for your time I appreciate anybody answering this question one more time.
    • By fmedina
      whats up smd! its been a good while. feels good to be getting back into car audio, the hobby that made me into a commercial/industrial electrician. the last system i had was in a 98 oldsmobile intrigue with a single 15" in the trunk. first was obsidian audio on a hifonics brz1200, then went with a skar vvx 15 after that. ive had other equipment before those, played around with jl, sundown, audioque, t3 audio compnents, hertz speakers... so that was like 5 years ago. had to sell everything because we were in need of money. our first child was going to be born soon and i was the main person bringing in income working at ace hardware. well, now, thanks to the love of car audio, i signed up for an electrical apprenticeship program here in california and started my career as a general electrician. needed more than 12v sparks in my face lmao. finished the 5 years as an apprentice, took the state exam and passed! officially a certified general electrician. i currently work for anderson pacific as a journeyman electrician in the bay area.  but anyways, enough of my history. i want to build!
      so i have somewhat an idea of what im looking to get for my 2012 honda accord. i commute a lot! ha so this will mainly be a daily setup. maybe compete just for giggles in the near future. because of my job and not owning/commuting in a pickup i need my trunk space. all of it haha. and also would like to have my spare tire easily accessible.  so that being said i am willing to sacrifice my rear seats for the sub(s). im only keeping one seat available for a car seat but the rest will be used to fit a box. so i have something like 25"w 24"h 18"d to work with. i already have a pioneer deh-80prs installed and replaced the stock front speakers with a set of skar TX65C and the rear with a pair of skar fsx 6.5s. yup, i think im going with skar all around. i had good experience with their sub and components in the past. and theyre very reasonably priced for what you get. unless someone can persuade me to go with others lol...
      i will be running the stock alt for now (130a) thinking about getting a mechman later on. 
      1-xs power d3400r for the front 
      1-xs power xp3000 for the back
      with that im hoping to supply a skar rp2000.1 and possibly a sk100.4
      already stated what i have for mids n highs
      a single zvx15 ported @ 33hz   or 2- evl12s @ 32hz (i know go with the 2 12s more cone area.. but idk something about having a 15..)
      will be all sky high wiring and sound deadening (had some left over knu deadening from prior build that i put on the front doors.)
      big 3 of course w/ 1/0 
      and im sure there will be more as we go on. theres always more lol

so what you think? just something simple for daily. my old lady is giving me a budget of 3k  lol less is better tho. any recommendations, suggestions, comments, thoughts, some schooling would be grrreat! 

heres a simple box design i was messing around with on torres and sketchup. 4cu ft after all displacements including fiberglass. tuned @ 33hz. will be 3- 4" aero's  

thats it haha sorry didnt get a chance to get any pics of the speakers. i will next time around when i open up the door panels again. same for the rear deck. thanks guys... 
    • By GrayMuze
      Hello all!  New to the forum, but have followed for a long time of course.
      I am in need of help with creating a ported enclosure for a single nsv3 12
      My maximum outer space limit is 13"H x 30"L x 25"D.  Looking for a 32hz tune or suggested.
      Can this be done?  I'm ok with any slot port design.  Thank you in advance for the assistance!!
    • By giusiwa
      Hi, i'm designing a box for my zv5 15", i've do a project with google sketchup but i don't know if my design is good or not(i leave the google sketch project). I've do my project Seeing this video:
      box parameters:
      net cu.ft= 4,25cu.ft
      tuning freq=32hz
      W(28,74") - H(21,5") - D(20,75")=OUTER DIMENSIONS
      driver displacement= 0.25 cu.ft
      port displacement= 1,57 cu.ft
      port dimension = W(3,4") - H(20") - LENGTH(33.6")(carstereo.com)
      my question is: IS GOOD THIS TUTORIAL?IN WINISD THE PROJECTS CHANGES (the port length is different on winisd)   For this reason I am doubtful on my design. Can you eventually crete your own design if my box is not good?  
      PS

1x sundown zv5 15.skp
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 314 Guests (See full list)