Second Skin Audio

Do SSA Xcons really need 7.75ft^3 for optimal performance?

SpydreX

I was looking at the 18" Xcons on the SSA site and they are calling for 7.25-7.75ft^3 per sub for optimal performance which to me sounds like way too much for one subwoofer. http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/xcon-18-sound-solutions-audio-18-1750w-xcon-series-subwoofer.html

Could someone get away with say 5ft^3 per subwoofer at 2k watts rms or do I really need at least 6ft^3?

97CEqeU.png

6.0 is the lowest you can get away with.

Yeah but I have heard that you can get away with less if you give them more power than what they are rated in rms.

Sure you can get away with less net volume, it will just cost you output around tuning. A smaller box will increase mechanical power handling of the sub, potentially allowing you to run more power, but adding more power with a smaller box is not going to sound the same as a larger box on lower power would. I'm not saying either option is better than the other, just know they will be different.

I hate it when sub manufacturers give "optimal" box specs. There is no "optimal" box because everyone's situation is different and everyone has different goals for their system. There isn't a single box spec that will be the best for every person and every application.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sure you can get away with less net volume, it will just cost you output around tuning. A smaller box will increase mechanical power handling of the sub, potentially allowing you to run more power, but adding more power with a smaller box is not going to sound the same as a larger box on lower power would.

I hate it when sub manufacturers give "optimal" box specs. There is no "optimal" box because everyone's situation is different and everyone has different goals for their system. This isn't a single box spec that will be best for every person and every application.

Thanks man, and yeah.. I was able to change my shit around in the back of my jeep so I will have at least 5.75ft^3 for each of them which is better than 5ft^3 but the port takes up so much room lol.

Thanks man, and yeah.. I was able to change my shit around in the back of my jeep so I will have at least 5.75ft^3 for each of them which is better than 5ft^3 but the port takes up so much room lol.

5.75 cu ft each should be fine.

Out of curiosity, are you going to be running 2000 watts total or 2000 watts per sub?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I would not run an Xcon 18 in a 5cuft box.

Get the 15. They'll love 5cu ft each ! That will leave room for a nice port.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

5.75 cu ft each should be fine.

Out of curiosity, are you going to be running 2000 watts total or 2000 watts per sub?

Well I am planning on running them on a TS 3.5k which does 4500-4700ish certified on the dyno. So a little over 2k for each of them.

I would not run an Xcon 18 in a 5cuft box.

Get the 15. They'll love 5cu ft each ! That will leave room for a nice port.

This is the route I'd take as well. Cone area is only king when you have the space to build a proper enclosure. Since you don't really have the room, step down to 15's that you have room for

Archived