CD/DVD-RW drive still reads CDs but doesn't read DVDs anymore

I've had my laptop since 2011/12-ish. Last year I was ripping DVDs no problem, now I'm home and want to continue the process, and none of my DVDs even show up as being in the drive (via My Computer). My WinX DVD Ripper Platinum doesn't show them, nor any media playback programs (windows media/center, VLC, iTunes). But if I pop an Audio CD in, it shows up just fine in My computer and the media playback programs. Anyone know any tips to try? The DVDs aren't damaged/scratched/dirty.

i'd prefer to not have to buy an external optical drive, but if that's the only solution, I don't have a clue what to look for, so any help there would be great as well. 

Edit: i should add, it does try to read the DVDs, it makes a lot of clicking and whurring noises for a minute or so before it gives up. These are original DVDs as well, not burned copies or anything. i just don't get why it used to work just fine, and now it only reads CDs

The only thing I can think of is that the driver for it was updated to the wrong driver? Or maybe the driver is corrupt? Maybe try reinstalling the driver for it. 

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

5 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

The only thing I can think of is that the driver for it was updated to the wrong driver? Or maybe the driver is corrupt? Maybe try reinstalling the driver for it. 

I tried that. No avail.

Can you buy a replacement drive? I did years ago for my old laptop I had. What is the model?

2007 Ford Ranger

(ALL YET TO BE INSTALLED - DUE TO WORK SCHEDULES)

K&N Performance Air Intake

Massive Audio D2400 Mono Amplifier

2 Custom Built 8" Subwoofers in Ported Enclosure

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In Dash Double Din DVD Player (Video Bypassed)

4 - Pioneer TS-A6886R 6" X 8"

2 - SMD Heavy Duty Single ANL Fuse Blocks

2- Stinger SPP1200 Dry Cell Batteries

JL AUDIO Interconnects

2/0 Gauge Big 3

ILL Customz 8 Spot Flat Lug Style Bolt Down Terminals

ILL Customz 1/0 to 4 Gauge Power / Ground Reducers

Factory Alternator

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002 Cheverlot Monte Carlo SS - (Deceased)

2 - Rockford Fosgate Power 1501BD
1 - Rockford Fosgate Power 851x
Rockford Fosgate Power 6 1/2 Components
Rockford Fosgate Power 3 way 6x9
2 - JL Audio W7 13.5" Subwoofers (Sealed)
Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In - Dash DVD Player
Pioneer AVIC - U250 - Add-on GPS Navigation System
Audio Control 6XS 4 Way Crossover / Line Driver
Ohio Generator 200 Amp Alternator
3 - Stinger SPP1200 Batteries
1 - Optima D34/78 Battery

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=TS-L633C&_sacat=0

most any sata optical drive should work. May have to transfer mounting bracket and bezel but theres a ton of direct replacements out there. 

9 minutes ago, bsneon98 said:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=TS-L633C&_sacat=0

most any sata optical drive should work. May have to transfer mounting bracket and bezel but theres a ton of direct replacements out there. 

Ok, thank you. I can work my way around software mostly, but when it comes to what hardware is compatible, etc., I'm clueless. So that helps. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I'm still looking through some troubleshooting steps online, so hopefully something pops up to where I don't have to replace the drive.

Just now, reedal said:

Ok, thank you. I can work my way around software mostly, but when it comes to what hardware is compatible, etc., I'm clueless. So that helps. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I'm still looking through some troubleshooting steps online, so hopefully something pops up to where I don't have to replace the drive.

No problem man. I wish you luck! Worst case scenario, you remove the top or bottom case to get the drive out but on the older units the optical drive is usually one screw and it slides out. All depends on the laptop. There also should be a Disc shape stamped on the plastic with a triangle pointing to the screw. 

Well now it's working again all of a sudden. I guess we'll see how long it lasts. Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep the advice in the back of my mind for the next time it acts up

Archived