Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Small enclosure for Sundown X6.5


Jpshockster

Recommended Posts

Posted

Can someone please help me with my box design?  I built one box with a slot port that was 1" x 4" x 21" long but because of my enclosure size it had to fold back and fourth to get the length.  the box seems to have a lot of port turbulence.  I'm now considering a round port however the spec for the sub recommend  4"^2  at 32hz  using a 3" port consumes too much volume and raises my tuning and using a 2" gives me the desired tuning but is under the suggested 4"^2 by .86"^2  will this cause a windy port?

My outside dimensions are 6" tall x 17.75" wide x 10" deep ( the depth can increase by 1" at the top and 2" at the bottom if absolutely necessary. I am trying to tune around 45hz as this is going into a golf cart with the sub and port firing down. (there will be 1.5" between the bottom of the box and the surface the box sits on)  so 1.5" from port face to surface and .625" from surround to surface.  I am open to suggestions in any direction

Note:  sub and port fire down so they are protected form moisture and people. :) 

Posted

Sealed will result in a virtually non existent lower end with that sub, more so on a golf cart where usually no cabin gain exists. Post what's the amp.

Posted

I squeezed out a little more port area and the measurements seem to work. Its a bit more of a square port idea. This is a rough idea but maybe you can make it work. I also used .5 in wood which makes the difference in this case. 

Screenshot%2070_zpsrpnujjdv.pngScreenshot%2071_zpshxae2mrm.pngScreenshot%2072_zps5qprmwak.png

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 2/11/2017 at 2:49 PM, kam311 said:

I squeezed out a little more port area and the measurements seem to work. Its a bit more of a square port idea. This is a rough idea but maybe you can make it work. I also used .5 in wood which makes the difference in this case. 

Screenshot%2071_zpshxae2mrm.pngScreenshot%2072_zps5qprmwak.png

Thanks for the reply Kam311, I ended up making the box a little deeper and using 2.5" pvc pipe.  .31^3 @ 46.15hz and it sounds much better than my first attempt 

x6.5 box calc.PNG

x6.5 box.PNG

Posted

Awesome,  I'm glad you didn't give up on it! 

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

Posted

i was going to suggest an external port.  if that was an option that would work.

also if you built a mounting brace at the end of the port tube and round it over that can help with port noise.  since you're still on the smaller side of the recommended.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6409 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...